Tokamak Core Engineering Manager
Requisition # 2017-7699
Department PPPL Engineering and Infrastrc
Date Posted 6/26/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
The Princeton University Plasma Physics Laboratory, a world-leading fusion energy research center under contract with the U. S. Department of Energy (DOE), invites applications for a Tokamak Core Engineering Manager to manage the design and fabrication activities related to the replacement of magnets and the modifications of the vacuum vessel and internal hardware components as part of the NSTX-U Recovery Project.
- Supervise the activities of the Responsible Engineers (REs) for Magnets, Plasma Facing Components, and Vacuum Vessel & Internal Hardware
- Develop and complete designs that satisfy all technical requirements including documentation that establishes the design basis and supports the design review process
- Produce documentation that supports fabrication and procurement activities
- Conduct all design, fabrication, and procurement activities in accordance with PPPL policies and procedures
- Provide effective oversight of fabrication activities at suppliers' facilities
- Provide accurate, reliable input to the cost and scheduling planning process
- Adhere to planned cost and schedule
- Ensure safety of personnel and protection of equipment investment
- Supervise employees and prepare annual performance appraisals
- Advanced degree in engineering related to tokamak core work scope
- At least 10 years experience in the functional role of systems design, integration and installation for complex equipment
- At least 10 years direct experience with one or more of the major magnetic fusion science and engineering programs worldwide
- At least 5 years management experience leading diverse technical teams
- Strong leadership qualities, including ability to motivate team, set expectations and provide constructive feedback
- Strong communication skills, including ability to communicate effectively to both executive and subordinate staff
- Effective written and oral communication in reporting and presentation
- Ability to work in a DOE project environment with schedule and cost constraints and the use of formal project reporting systems.
- Full understanding of systems integration and delivery in a project environment
- Ability to enforce the discipline required of a formal engineering process.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are, therefore, unable or limited in your ability to use or access this system, you can request a reasonable accommodation by calling a Human Resources team member at (609) 258-2101.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory requires some candidates to complete a physical capacity exam successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of physical capacity exam may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to Princeton University careers site.