Transportation Safety and Compliance Program Manager
Parking and Transportation Services has an opening for a Transportation Safety and Compliance Manager. This person develops and implements programs and operational solutions that help the organization meet and maintain its safety and compliance objectives. This role also monitors regulatory changes and ongoing business operations including the conditions of facilities and materials to drive the effectiveness of all safety and compliance programs.
We are looking for someone with at least 7 years' experience in the transportation industry who has a strong understanding of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations auditing.
Who we are:
As part of the Parking and Transportation Services (PTS) organization, Transportation Services provides comprehensive transit, fleet management, maintenance, and vehicle lease operations to serve the faculty, staff, students and visitors at the University of Colorado Boulder. The University of Colorado vehicle fleet numbers over 600; a robust transit system moving 1.4 million riders per year at the University of Colorado-Boulder campus; and guidance for driver operations for campuses located in Aurora, Boulder, and Denver. Transportation Services is an auxiliary funded operation with an operating budget of $3 million annually and provides cost effective options to departments at each of the three campuses. The Parking and Transportation Services organization is committed to continuous improvement efforts and rising to the challenges of a diverse and dynamic campus that is in the midst of change and innovation.
As such, we have the unique opportunity to influence the impressions every member of our university community and our visitors. We are team-oriented professionals, dedicated to meeting the needs of our community and providing the highest possible customer service. Experience dynamic growth, self-directed efforts and a challenging but rewarding industry. If you are a strong leader with deep knowledge, skills, and experience, and you have a great positive attitude; please consider joining our team!
What your key responsibilities will be:
Regulatory and Policy Compliance
- Develop and conduct daily, weekly, and quarterly safety audits of all campuses and maintains safety files and all records subject to a DOT audit. Create, develop, and audit safety policies, ensuring compliance with respect to Federal, State and Local transportation regulations. Serve on organizational boards and committees.
- Monitor driver qualification files for accuracy and compliance. Ensure pre-employment, random, post-accident or reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing is performed in accordance with company as well as legal and regulatory guidelines.
- Perform driver citation review and audits with motor carrier profile from the US DOT. Work with operations leadership on permissible driver hours in accordance with Federal hours of service rules and regulation in driver accident/citation appeal process. Manage and supervise pre/post trip inspections, incident and accident reporting, and fueling procedures.
- Serve as a liaison officer for all Federal, State, and local officials.
Training and Development
- Identify potential transportation safety issues or impacts caused by regulatory changes.
- Implement innovative transportation safety plans and education programs.
- Supervise and provide CMV, CDL, and University Driver training programs.
- Conduct regularly scheduled safety meetings with Drivers and Transportation Operations leadership. Attend Transportation and driver related seminars, conferences, and competitions.
- Participate in continuing education courses on Safety, OSHA, FMCSR, and transportation topics.
Accident / Citation Review and Resolution
- Provide support and respond to accidents and/or weather or other emergency situations involving Transportation. Conduct both accident investigation and reconstruction to determine factors contributing to accident and other safety related incidents involving state, local and Federal transportation authorities. Communicates accident findings and recommendations to leadership.
- Oversee Reportable Accident Registry required by FMCSR.
What we can offer:
The salary range for this position is competitive and will be commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be collaborative. Be resourceful. Be effective. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of 7 years' experience in the transportation industry.
- 5 years specialized experience in: Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations auditing.
- Demonstrated experience in developing resources allowing continued knowledge of the regulations and the changes to those regulations.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and implementing safety/compliance programs, and providing objective analysis of results.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing FMCSR/HMR training programs.
- Experience in all aspects of Safety, Compliance and Risk Management related functions.
- Demonstrated experience in process improvement analysis.
What you will need:
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Hazardous Materials Regulations contained in 49 CFR.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated experience with giving presentations to superiors, peers, and subordinates.
- Proven decision making, reasoning and analytical skills.
- Advanced multi-tasking and attention to detail skills.
- PC skills including MS Office, relational databases, and spreadsheet software.
- Advanced analytical & influencing skills.
What we'd like you to have:
- Advanced PC skills to include MS Office, relational databases, and spreadsheet software.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by July 23, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume. br> 2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-09245.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10533 - Parking & Transportation Servi
Posting Date: Jun 26, 2017
Closing Date: Jul 23, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00732769