Lead Creative Programmer
Lead Creative Programmer
IT Programmer Analyst II
College of Music-Gen - 134000
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm; Occasional Weekends
The Center for Experimental Music & Intermedia (CEMI) is an interdisciplinary center focused on music and arts technologies, housed within the Division of Composition Studies at the University of North Texas. CEMI provides an environment for research, education, and a busy schedule of public performances. CEMI fosters integration of electroacoustic music, live performance, video/film, plastic arts, and theater. Since its 1963 inception as UNT's Electronic Music Center, CEMI has evolved into a unique creative environment, world-renowned for innovative works and musicians. CEMI's four state-of-the-art studios and Merrill Ellis Intermedia Theater nurture the development of dozens of works each year, including music for live performance with interactive computer systems, multichannel surround audio compositions, film and video works, dance pieces with live video, and intermedia theatrical performances.
CEMI showcases the latest experimental music and intermedia from UNT and around the world in its annual series of concerts in the Merrill Ellis Intermedia Theater. Visiting composers-in-residence have studio access and technical assistance; CEMI regularly hosts internationally renowned artists and researchers in residencies that include public lectures, masterclasses, and concerts. CEMI has hosted the International Computer Music Conference in 1981, the SEAMUS National Conference 2000, and the Electric LaTex Festival 2007, among others. In 2005, CEMI was noted in Schools that Rock: The Rolling Stone College Guide, which named the UNT College of Music as one of the nation's best music programs.
The College of Music at UNT is seeking to hire a Lead Creative Programmer. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Developing & implementing complex software systems & related physical computing solutions for the advancement of integrated audio-visual applications including algorithmic computer graphics, virtual reality authoring, multi-screen environments, interactive media performance instruments, data visualization & data sonification solutions.
* Duties will require knowledge of digital fabrication, web based media production, & computer systems integration & maintenance.
* Technical knowledge of creative coding applications should be augmented by excellent troubleshooting ability & strong verbal and written communication skills.
* Interactive Audio-Visual systems software development, design, testing & implementation for the Hybrid Arts Lab (HAL) located in the College of Music.
* Hardware instrumentation & novel physical systems design, development & testing for HAL.
* Provide product specification, system design, integration and maintenance of computer based media workstations, specialized control peripherals & network systems for Hal.
* Technical consulting for interdisciplinary digital media research, arts production & digital learning initiatives for the College of Music and affiliated faculty comprising the initiative for advanced research in technology and the arts (iARTA) and CEMI.
* Participate in HAL & related iARTA research project documentation.
* Assist in determining potential funding sources, assess technical feasibility of proposed research & provide technical writing assistance for preparation of documents for funding initiatives*
* Participate in research presentations, special technical workshops & public demonstrations in service of HAL and/or the College of Music.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree with coursework in computing or information systems and three years of progressively responsible computer programming and analysis experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Intermediate knowledge of the methods and equipment used in electronic data processing, including system analysis and design, and computer programming techniques.
* Strong skill in writing programs for computer applications.
* Strong skill in analyzing and solving complex data processing and computing problems.
* Ability to coordinate a work team and train lower level programmers and analysts for specific tasks or assignments.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* A Master's Degree with coursework in computing or information systems and three up to five years of progressively responsible computer programming and analysis experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge and experience with:
* Computer Networks.
* Rigging of Video Projectors, Sensors, Lights.
* Basic Photo & Video Shooting and Editing.
* Live Sound.
* Web Publishing.
* Projector Mapping.
* Video Game Design Production Methods.
Skills Desired Include:
* General knowledge of the fields of digital audio, real-time interactive computer music, generative art, artificial-life, real-time computer graphics, virtual reality, video game technologies, multi-projector environments, interactive & immersive sound diffusion, data-transcoding, data visualization & sonification, wireless devices, rapid prototyping, hardware fabrication, basic robotics, web based media, hardware systems integration. Technical knowledge should be augmented by excellent troubleshooting ability & strong communication skills.
* Programming Expertise: MAX/MSP/Jitter + Gen; Open GL; C++; Java Script; Audio DSP; Comfortable with Mac & PC OS; HTML.
* Media Software Expertise: Unity VR Authoring; Various Digital Audio Workstations & Sequencers; Adobe Suite; Blender; Rhino (Grasshopper).
* Additional Software Expertise: Processing; Open Frameworks; Cinder; Drupal.
* Hardware Experience: Arduino; Micro-Controllers; Sensor Implementation & Interface Design; VR Headsets, Controllers, Haptic Devices; Interest in Smart Fabrics; Video Cameras; Flat Panel Monitor Grids & multi-projection environments; Basic Digital Fabrication Skills.
Special Instructions to Applicants
* Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and 3 references with their online application.
* In addition, applicants must provide web links to any research, creative projects and hardware or software designs that demonstrate their skill and areas of interest.
* Expected start date for this position is September 1, 2017.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting