Culinary Operations Chef
Culinary Operations Chef
Food Service Manager II
Dining-Residential - 163720
Is this an internal posting only?
Mon - Thurs. 7am- 8pm; Fri. 7am - 7pm; weekends and overtime as necessary
Join the University of North Texas Dining Services department where fresh is "in"! All of our food is prepared fresh in our kitchens using local vendors and farms - no convenience foods.
Our Dining Services department includes a nationally acclaimed vegan cafeteria, faculty and staff meal plans, and dining halls are open to the community. All menu planning is done in-house by each kitchen's chef and fresh ice cream is made on campus. To our staff, eating local is not just an attitude, it's our way of life.
The Culinary Operations Chef position is a specialized culinary arts position within the Dining Services Department. This position will be responsible for menu development; the test and standardization of recipes, as well as the training of food service staff on related concepts and execution.
In addition to menu planning, this position will also be responsible for preparation and quality control of food in a large scale cafeteria setting; direct activity in all aspects of food production will be required. A position in this classification may have supervisory responsibilities. The Culinary Operations Chef will report to the Associate Director of Dining Services.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
* Creates high quality/low cost entrees, sides and desserts with attractive presentations in a cafeteria setting
* Performs menu development and planning for residential dining cafeteria operations and standardizes recipes for food production based on costs, proportions and quality considerations
* Provides training to cooks and other staff relative to production, presentation and menu service standards
* Ensures that menu items are appealing through offering a balanced assortment of highly recognizable menu items, along with international cuisine
* Conducts frequent quality assurance checks of menu items in production to ensure desirable taste and conformance to recipe standardization
* Observes UNT dining services operations and makes recommendations for improvements relating to menu execution/food production, operating efficiency and safety standards
* Receives student comments/suggestions and communicates feedback to the Resident Director of Dining Services.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
Bachelor's Degree in related field and three years of experience in food service management; or any equivalent combination of experience, education or training. Must be Food Safe Certified or able to get certification within 6 months. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Thorough knowledge of food preparation and food service management in a large food service unit
* Thorough knowledge of hazards to human life and health that can occur from improper food preservation and service
* Thorough knowledge of kitchen equipment, kitchen implements, and advanced food preparation and processing procedures
* Ability to analyze and solve problems, and make the necessary decisions on personnel, food preparation, or food handling problems that may develop
* Skill in determining and requisitioning supplies of food and vegetables
* Ability to develop and maintain accurate records of food inventories, personnel, labor, and food costs
* Skill in training, supervising, and evaluating the work of subordinates
* Ability to maintain time and cash receipts records
* Knowledge of appropriate safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed
* Must be able to set-up, serve and break down special events
* Must be able to anticipate and successfully respond to changing business needs.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Bachelors Degree
* Culinary background or graduated from an accredited culinary school
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with experience
Quicklink for Posting