The Executive Assistant reports to the Vice President for Information Technology & CIO, and works closely with and supports the Manager of Operations and Budget. In order to be successful, the Executive Assistant enhances the effectiveness of both of these leaders in their positions. This position is far more than a clerical support function. The individual in this position represents the VPIT to others, and as a result must exemplify the values of the Office of the VPIT & CIO and of the Division of Information Technology.
This position works in very close coordination with the VPIT & CIO and the Manager of Operations and Budget, and within the overall operational and administrative responsibilities and success indicators of the position. However, this position also requires the ability to work independently and utilize sound judgement, performing a wide range of complex and confidential administrative and support duties. The incumbent must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to provide information and service to a wide range of internal and external contacts. The position also requires knowledge of the University and departmental policies and procedures. Among other responsibilities is office management as required and appropriate. By providing a bridge for smooth communication between the Office of the VPIT and internal departments this position demonstrates leadership and helps maintain credibility, trust and support with the Stevens community. Situational awareness and the ability for anticipating issues and needs before they arise would be an enormous asset. The ability to appropriately handle and maintain sensitive and confidential information is essential.
Additional Job Description
- Performs a wide array of support including managing appointments by planning and scheduling meetings, conferences, teleconferences, and travel arrangements
- Provides a wide variety of administrative support activities including but not limited to calendar management, meeting coordination and preparation, answering phones, and email and written correspondence
- Utilizes Microsoft Office Suite software proficiently to develop presentations, agendas, and notes for a variety of internal and external meetings, reports, and correspondence
- Provides information-related executive support by collecting and analyzing data and information; reading, researching, and writing reports and recommendations, and drafting letters and documents
- Supports the Manager of Operations and Budget in maintaining accurate, up-to-date budget and personnel information, and provides backup to this individual to ensure operational continuity at all times
- As required, represents the VPIT by attending meetings in his/her absence, and as required or requested provides information and conveys the positions of the VPIT
- Maintains customer confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential
- Completes projects by personal effort as well as delegating work to other office staff as appropriate.
- Minimum of 5 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in office operations and management, administrative support, and executive-level assistance
- Previous professional experience as a highly-effective executive assistant is strongly preferred
- Previous professional experience with budget management is preferred
- Bachelor's degree required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with strong writing, proofreading, and editorial skills preferred
- Demonstrated ability to assume appropriate responsibility without direct supervision, while employing excellent judgement and decision-making
- Energetic and self-initiated individual with strong desire to succeed and excel
- Excellent collaborator, communicator, team-builder, and leader
- Capable of working in a fast-paced /dynamic environment and of managing multiple priorities simultaneously
- Ability to exercise flexibility and adaptability in an ever changing, fast-paced environment with multiple competing priorities
- Willingness to work extended hours if needed
- Commitment to excellent customer service, including a user-centric service ethic
- Demonstrated ability to maintain appropriate professional relationships, and to effectively ensure the privacy and confidentiality of information
- Tact and diplomacy in dealing with others, and particularly when dealing with tense and high pressure situations and challenging individuals
- Significant professional experience and proficiency with internet and productivity software including email, browsers, and the Microsoft Office Suite of products (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.) among others.
This position requires a background check. The individual in this position will also be required to sign a confidentiality and non-disclosure agreement.
Office of IT Operations and Budget
General Submission Guidelines:
In order to be considered a candidate for any job at Stevens, you must submit an online application. Please attach a cover letter and resume with each application. Other requirements for consideration may depend on the job.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact Jobs@Stevens.edu
Stevens Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Accordingly, Stevens adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against candidates or employees based on legally impermissible factor(s) including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, nationality, citizenship status, age, ancestry, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information, pregnancy or pregnancy-related medical conditions, disability, or any protected military or veteran status.
Stevens is building a diverse faculty, staff and student body and strongly encourages applications from female and minority candidates as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities. Stevens is a federal contractor under the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as well as other federal statutes.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure:
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), the Department of Public Safety is required to publish an annual security report which includes statistics mandated by the Clery Act. You can obtain a copy of this report by accessing the following web site: http://www.stevens.edu/sit/police