Assistant Director, Enterprise Application Services - Western Washington University
To apply, go to:
About the Position:
Western Washington University seeks an experienced, collaborative information technology professional to join our team as the Assistant Director of Enterprise Application Services. The Assistant Director is responsible for coordinating the implementation, development, integration, and maintenance of enterprise-wide applications including the University's centrally managed information systems, web applications, and various database systems. The applications, many of them mission-critical, may be Software as a Service living in the cloud or hosted on campus; Ellucian’s Banner running on the Oracle platform is the primary application, with document management, learning management system, data warehouses and reporting/analytics other significant applications.
The Assistant Director has a hands-on role in determining functional user and department requirements, systems implementation, technical support, enhancement, and administration, and in ensuring standards compliance. They will supervise a team of Programmers and Systems Analysts, coordinating and reviewing the team’s work, mentoring team members, and instilling the values of the University. The Assistant Director fosters a close relationship between Enterprise Application Services and other departments across the campus to meet institutional objectives and provide support resources. This is a full-time position reporting to the Director of Enterprise Application Services.
About the College/Department:
Enterprise Application Services (EAS) is responsible for the implementation, operation, maintenance and evolution of Western’s enterprise systems. The approximately 100 applications, many of them mission-critical, may be SaaS or hosted on premise. EAS partners with the University to plan, acquire, develop, and maintain core operational and student support systems. EAS supports Western's mission to bring together individuals of diverse backgrounds and perspectives in an inclusive, student-centered university that develops the potential of learners and the well-being of communities. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, and other candidates from underrepresented backgrounds and with diverse experiences interested in this opportunity.
Works collaboratively with information technology teams and functional departments to support the adoption, development and usage of enterprise applications throughout the university. Maintains a high level of awareness of the applications as well as new features and updates as they are launched. Conducts feasibility studies, planning and analysis of application requirements, changes or enhancements. Works closely with the Project Manager to successfully implement plans. Facilitates problem-solving among departments with varying needs and priorities, communicates well with functional departments, technical staff and management. Participates in university committees and working groups to promote best practice use of information technology and constant improvement of business processes.
Establishes and maintain standards for analysis, design, coding, testing, and documentation of information systems, integrations, and reporting/analytics. Manages changes to enterprise applications, including design, implementation, testing and deployment. Works with vendors and external consultants in implementing hosted and non-hosted solutions. Performs system administrator functions where necessary to manage security roles and access for enterprise applications. Upholds privacy and protection of sensitive data (e.g. FERPA, HIPAA, PCI, etc.). Assists with troubleshooting problems and responds to technical emergencies outside of normal working hours as needed. Stays current with database systems, software applications for higher education, software development tools, and technology trends.
Plans, coordinates and reviews the work of a team of Programmers and Systems Analysts, and provides advanced technical guidance as needed. Interviews, hires, trains, motivates and guides employees. Fulfills job responsibilities in ways that support an equitable and inclusive environment.
As a member of the EAS Leadership Team, meets regularly with the Director and works closely with other Leadership Team members. Recommends changes to existing products, services and training programs to support students, faculty and staff. Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field plus seven (7) years of relevant professional experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job listed above
- Four (4) years’ experience in technical or process analysis; the ability to translate business process and information management requirements into functional specifications
- Four (4) years’ experience supporting functional end users; exceptional customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to plan and manage all aspects of an information system implementation or integration of various information systems
- Strong interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse employees and differing opinions
- Effective written and verbal communication skills with both technical and non-technical people on highly technical and complex topics
- Strong programming knowledge of modern object oriented languages (e.g. Java, C#) and frameworks (e.g. .NET, Grails)
- Programming knowledge of PL/SQL or T-SQL
- Experience with relational database management systems such as Oracle, MS SQL Server, MySQL, etc.
- Experience supervising direct reports or large project management and team leadership experience
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and familiarity with the privacy and protection of sensitive data (e.g. FERPA, HIPAA, PCI etc.)
- Strong knowledge of the Oracle DBMS environment and tools
- Working knowledge of Unix OS and scripting
- Experience with one or more of the following: PL/SQL, Oracle Tools, SQL Server, .NET, SSIS/SSAS, C#, Java, Groovy/Grails, Git, O/R mapping
- Four (4) years’ experience developing, managing, maintaining and upgrading software systems; test-driven development
- Web application development experience
- Experience with data analytics tools and the design and development of KPIs, dashboards, interactive reports, data warehouses, data mart schemas and OLAP cubes
- Experience with SaaS applications; integrations using APIs, RESTful Web services, etc.
- Experience deploying IaaS, PaaS services
- Experience with Ellucian Banner; experience in a higher education institution
- Experience writing technical documentation and/or preparing and delivering training sessions
- Thorough understanding of and familiarity with information technology and related trends
- Curiosity, creativity, flexibility, and a sense of humor
Academic Emphasis: Job Location: Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications Bargaining Union: Not applicable Application Instructions and Requested Documents: Please log in below and submit your application via WWU's Electronic Application System for Employment (EASE). Note: You will need to be using Internet Explorer to fully utilize our online application system.
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications. You may cut and paste or upload your resume and cover letter as noted on the EASE application.
Please complete the education and work experience section of the EASE application and submit the names and contact information of three professional references. Other Information: Follow Western Employment on Facebook and WWUEmployment on Twitter Job Posted: 6/23/2017 Closing Date Notes: Application review begins July 21, 2017; position open until filled Recruitment #: 170246 Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, WWU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. See WWU's Policy on Ensuring Equal Opportunity and Prohibiting Discrimination and Retaliation. Inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity and Employment Diversity, Title IX and ADA Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, Western Washington University, Old Main 345 (MS 9021), 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360.650.3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); firstname.lastname@example.org
WWU is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact Human Resources Disability Services, 360.650.3774 or 711 (Washington Relay).
All new employees must comply with the immunization policy and show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service before beginning work at WWU. A thorough background check will be conducted on all new hires.
Apply for Assistant Director, Enterprise Application Services - Western Washington University
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly