Assistant/Associate Professor Tenure-track Position Professional Security Studies
New Jersey City University
College of Professional Studies/ Professional Security Studies Department
Assistant/Associate Professor Tenure-track Position
The Department of Professional Security Studies (PSS) at New Jersey City University invites applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty appointment at the assistant or associate professor level commencing with the Fall 2017 semester. The Department of PSS is designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education (CAE/IAE).
The position is ideally suited for a new or established professor with a background in national security, civil security and/or emergency operations. Candidates with classroom experience and/or strong background in public/military law enforcement, private security, border/transportation security, crisis and disaster management, information security, crisis response, risk management, policy development, and/or related legal issues are preferred. Applicants should possess a terminal degree in a discipline pertaining to or directly supporting the field of national or civil security. Active ABDs preparing for dissertation defense will be considered.
Teaching responsibilities in the Professional Security Studies Department will be distributed within the three levels of our programs—Doctorate in Civil Security (DSc), Graduate (MS) and Undergraduate (BS) in National Security Studies—primarily at the Jersey City campus and as needed at the Wall Township and Middlesex campuses.
PSS is an inter-disciplinary department drawing upon faculty with a research focus in areas that contribute to developing knowledge in security studies, emergency management, infrastructure protection, cyber security, and information assurance. The successful applicant will be expected to advise Doctor of Science (DSc) students/candidates in dissertation development and will be expected to serve on dissertation committees as a mentor and/or committee member. The position will include advising undergraduate students at NJCU’s Jersey City campus, possible Graduate Coordinator duties at the Jersey City campus, and possible Department Chairperson duties at the Jersey City campus.
- Teach at the BS, MS, and DSc levels
- Provide academic and professional leadership in the department
- Pursue an active program of scholarship
- Encourage an environment of learning and achievement among colleagues and DSc candidates
- Mentor students throughout their programs
- Serve on doctoral committees as mentor/chair or committee member
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Earned terminal degree in a discipline pertaining to or directly relating to the field of security studies
- A minimum of four years of Information Assurance/Cyber Security related professional experience
- Graduate teaching experience at an accredited institution is preferable
- Demonstration of scholarly achievement as evidenced by consultancies, published works in referred journals, presentations at professional meetings, receipt of research grants, etc.
- Evidence of strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Commitment to working in a multicultural environment
- Ability to cultivate and effectively work with external constituencies
Anticipated Start Date: September 1, 2017
For full consideration, applicants should submit a letter of application, a current curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy, a statement of research agenda and background, transcripts, and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three references to the NJCU website at: http://chj.tbe.taleo.net/chj06/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=NJCU&cws=39&rid=718
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
New Jersey City University is an equal opportunity institution. Applications from women and underrepresented minorities are strongly encouraged.
An Equal Opportunity Employer