I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
Job Description Summary:
GW’s Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Tropical Medicine (MITM) conducts innovative, fundamental, basic, and translational research for HIV/AIDS, HIV-related malignancies, and poverty related infectious diseases (PRIDs). MITM has a strong tradition of training and policy advocacy for these infectious and parasitic diseases, which initiate and perpetuate poverty and suffering worldwide. Additional information on MITM can be found at the following link: http://smhs.gwu.edu/microbiology/
MITM is searching for a full-time Research Associate for the George Washington Cancer Center Biobank. This position will assist the PI in the collection, processing, and maintenance of bio-specimens and associated data for the GW Cancer Center Biobank. In addition, the individual will assist in the maintenance of the databases associated with different specimen collections.
• Serve as biorepository coordinator for the GW Cancer Center to include collection/receipt, processing and preservation of bio-specimens, tissue preparation and assays (tissue embedding, microarrays, EBV assays, immunohistochemical tests) as per biorepository best practices (BBP).
• Consents patients deemed eligible for possible donation of tissues and other biological materials and ensures proper notifications between surgeons and pathologists between the operating room and the Pathology Frozen Room
• Collects and assess data
• Requests biospecimen samples from outside the institution
• Works with project managers and researchers to prepare for and execute assigned studies
• Assist in the preparation and maintenance of standard operating procedures (SOPs), manuals of operations (MOPs), and study protocols
• Assist in the management of the various informatics systems and maintains the Cancer Center database with other CCB personnel
• Assists in the preparation of the annual site audit report for review by the PI.
• Maintain and troubleshoot equipment.
• Perform any other duties as appropriate within their competence, as required.
Require’s a master’s degree and 1 year of experience in the field or in a related area.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
• Master’s degree plus 1 year of relevant experience
• Experience in a research laboratory, tissue bank or biobank preferred.
• Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft applications and data management software
• Strong attention to detail and highly organized
• Experience in inventory management
• Working knowledge of anatomical and medical terminology.
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Laboratory Research Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 1 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday through Friday 8:30-5:30pm with occasional nights and weekends based on patient needs Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: RP000221 Job Open Date: 04/24/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter