Assistant Dean of Student Affairs and Admissions
Assistant Dean of Student Affairs and Admissions, College of Medicine, California Northstate University, Elk Grove, CA
Job Classification: Full-time, exempt, 12-month appointment
Benefit: Per California Northstate University employee benefits
Closing Date: Position open until filled
Review of Applications: Reviewed upon receipt, Internal candidates will receive a stipend for this role
Anticipated Start Date: July 2017
Reporting Responsibility: This position reports to the Dean for College of Medicine and the University Vice President of Student Services
Education: MD, DO, or PhD required.
Experience: An enduring track record of effectiveness and experience in academic administration focused in the areas of admissions, student services and affairs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the Dean for medical school and the University Vice President of Student Services, the Assistant Dean of Students Affairs will work collaboratively with a wide variety of administrative and academic departments across the medical school and the university to provide visionary leadership and support focusing on student advising, career services, wellness services, academic advising service, MSPE, resident match advising, and student community services to promote the wellness and success of the medical students. Experience with the medical student career advising, wellness services and residency match process is critical and preferred.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serves as a member of the Dean’s Advisory Committee;
- Serves as Ex-Officio for the Student Promotion Committee.
- Serves as Chair or Ex-Officio of the Student Affairs Committee;
- Serves as Chair or Ex-Officio of the Career Advising Committee;
- Provides oversight of the Resident Match advising process
- Leads the effort of Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- Serves as advisor to the Student Body Council and Student Organization Leadership Council;
- Develops, manages, and provides student support services;
- Oversees student organizations;
- Prepares and leads the orientation for medical students
- Develops, implements, and promotes programs that foster student leadership and professionalism;
- Oversees the academic advising program;
- Coordinates student activities at the state, regional, and national levels;
- Coordinates student related college events and programs;
- Oversees, develops, and provides student services;
- Engages in didactic and clinical teaching to the extent possible;
- Participates in activities related to LCME accreditation, including but not limited to report generation, preparation of functional areas in accordance with accreditation standards
- Supports medical student success and retention efforts, and coordinates assessment of student services to ensure student satisfaction.
- Directs policy and procedures for student handbooks concerning professionalism, retention, campus security and risk management.
- Oversees student conduct and professionalism tracking system.
Shares in and displays a commitment to the mission and philosophy of the College by providing excellent internal and external service to both students and preceptors. Personal conduct and decision-making exemplify the College of Medicine mission; demonstrates cultural sensitivity; dedication and compassion; promotes community awareness related to health and wellness; and serves the best interests of CNUCOM, its faculty, students, preceptors and the community at large.
Demonstrates ability to work harmoniously with others to get a job done expeditiously and with a positive attitude. Attitude promotes a positive work environment with respect for others and resolves issues and conflicts professionally. Communicates effectively with other faculty, staff, students, and preceptors by offering constructive suggestions which enhance team performance.
Acts in a self-directed manner; initiates appropriate action before being directed by others or forced to react by events. Seizes opportunities to be proactive in avoiding potential problems. Adapts to changing conditions; willingness to accept challenging or difficult assignments. Inspires excellence and commitment by others.
Determines resources and initiates any action required to accomplish Program objectives. Sets priorities and manages time effectively. Identifies potential problems as well as opportunities for resolution, and plans contingent actions, as appropriate.
Demonstrates and maintains a competent level of administrative leadership duties in accordance with the College’s policies and position certification requirements. Exhibits professional growth through continuous improvement; participates in relevant training and educational programs on and off campus.
Focuses effort and resources toward the completion of tasks and assignments; realization of Program goals and fulfillment of the College’s Mission. Demonstrates ability to adjust priorities appropriately, assess progress critically; and overcome barriers effectively to attain results.
Applicants should submit:
- Cover letter of interest that addresses qualifications, experience and career goals
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three (3) professional references
Please send application materials to the HR Department or California Northstate University, 9700 West Taron Drive, Elk Grove, CA 95757.
California Northstate University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Apply for Assistant Dean of Student Affairs and Admissions
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly