Kalamazoo College seeks a dynamic and motivated Athletic Director who will take a strong athletic program to the next level of excellence in athletic competition, academic excellence, and its commitment to ethics and equity.
Kalamazoo College is a nationally known residential liberal arts college of approximately 1450 students offering an integrated undergraduate experience that weaves a traditional liberal arts curriculum into education experiences in both domestic and international settings. The campus is located midway between Chicago and Detroit in Kalamazoo, Michigan, a metropolitan community of 225,000 which supports several college and university campuses along with numerous civic arts and cultural associations. Thirty-five miles from Lake Michigan, the area offers many opportunities for outdoor activities. Kalamazoo is a member of the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (miaa.org), the oldest in the nation. The College sponsors 9 women’s and 9 men’s sports, with approximately 25% of students participating in intercollegiate athletics. The College also has a physical education requirement for graduation, so all students participate in PE activity classes. Kalamazoo is currently under NCAA probation (until March 2019) and additional sanctions from the MIAA after acknowledging major violations related to awarding of financial aid, recruitment practices and failure to monitor financial aid regulations in March 2016. More information on the College and the athletic program can be found at www.kzoo.edu and hornets.kzoo.edu. Kalamazoo College encourages candidates who will contribute to the cultural diversity of the College to apply and to identify themselves if they wish. Equal Opportunity Employer.
DEPARTMENT OF ATHLETICS
Reports to: Provost
- Assistant to the Athletic Director & Compliance Coordinator
- Senior Woman Administrator (also a head coach)
- Head Coaches
- Head Athletic Trainer
- Fitness and Wellness Director
- Assistant Equipment Manager
- Oversee the operations of the athletic department.
- Coordinate and supervise the intercollegiate athletic program through each team’s head coach and the head athletic trainer.
- Develop, implement and maintain a policy and procedures program with guidelines for managing the athletic department.
- Select and maintain a staff of highly qualified and successful head coaches and athletic training staff.
- Promote a collaborative and unified approach across the athletic department.
- Ensure that all guidelines for personnel actions are properly processed according to Kalamazoo College requirements and that they adhere to all college, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Provide support for the professional development of coaching staff and athletic training staff and publicly promote their individual and team accomplishments.
- Attend team practices and games to assess and evaluate coaching techniques and team morale; provide in-person support for the coaching staff and student-athletes. Conduct and present an annual evaluation on each head coach.
- Develop, implement and communicate athletic department philosophy and goals with the Kalamazoo College administration, faculty, alumni and student-athletes.
- Submit recommendations to and coordinate athletic department decisions with the Provost according to Kalamazoo College line of administrative authority.
- Establish, implement and maintain an organizational structure that clearly defines reporting lines and key tasks and responsibilities.
- Support the Fitness and Wellness Director who manages the Fitness and Wellness Center and its associated programming.
- Develop, implement and monitor fiscal planning of the athletic department, including budget management.
- Collaborate with Advancement division on all fundraising efforts.
- Formulate and implement athletic policies including long-range planning with regard to department personnel, budget and facilities.
- Serve as chief advocate for Kalamazoo athletics in the community.
- Serve on college, conference and national committees.
- Oversee, complete and submit annual college, conference, NCAA and federal reports.
- Adhere to and enforce all policies and procedures as stated in Kalamazoo College’s faculty/staff handbook, athletic department policies and procedures manual and MIAA and NCAA Division III rules and regulations.
- Ensure a culture of compliance throughout the athletic program and with other offices that have MIAA and NCAA compliance requirements.
- Master’s degree in sport management or related field, or equivalent experience
- 5 years athletic administrative experience
- Willingness to embrace and articulate the NCAA Division III and MIAA philosophies, rules and regulations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience and knowledge of: current and best practices in the delivery of amateur athletic programs; issues faced by student-athletes; supervision techniques; administrative budgeting and financial recordkeeping and control procedures
- Experience in fundraising, donor stewardship and athletic development activities a plus
- Ability to work non-traditional work hours including nights and weekends
- A valid Michigan driver’s license and a driving record in accord with College policy.