Assistant Dean for Advancement - College of Education (A1700390)
Assistant Dean for Advancement
College of Education
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The College of Education and the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement (OVCIA) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks a full-time Assistant Dean for Advancement to lead and manage a comprehensive fundraising program for the College which includes four academic units as well as several centers and initiatives.
The College has over 34,000 living alumni and donors and a student body of over 1,400 undergraduate and graduate students.
The College of Education's mission is to lead in research on critical issues in education, to innovate in preparing teachers and education leaders through advances in research, to serve the State of Illinois and the nation, and to prepare students to be productive members of society. The College's mission extends far beyond the classroom as we aim to make a difference in people's lives locally, nationally, and globally. Members of the College of Education community share a commitment to the following ideals: respect for diversity of ideas and social identities, dedication to community outreach and the responsibility to make the tools of learning accessible to everyone.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Assistant Dean for Advancement is responsible for planning and implementing the advancement program for the College. This includes:
- Providing strategic leadership for the College's advancement efforts aligned with the College's vision, mission and goals
- Developing a long-term comprehensive advancement plan that includes alumni, friends, corporations and foundations
- Overseeing the annual funds and stewardship programs in coordination with OVCIA
- Formulating an annual plan with measurable goals and driving the plan to execution through the engagement of staff and faculty
- Establishing and maintaining portfolio of major gift prospects, and maintaining a significant travel schedule throughout the United States and occasionally internationally.
- Partnering with the Dean and Department heads to design and implement fundraising initiatives for specific needs within the College
- Preparing proposals for donor prospects, including determination of purpose, timeframe, giving vehicle and level of ask for verbal and written proposals based on assessment of the prospect's interest and capacity for giving.
- Working with the Dean on strategic visits with key major donors
- Collaborating with OVCIA on specific projects/programs
- Coordinating with the College's Communication Office to ensure consistency of message and brand
- Serving as the primary liaison with university and campus administrators, including OVCIA, the University of Illinois Foundation, the University of Illinois Alumni Association, and the Office of Public Engagement.
- Ensuring gifts secured are acknowledged, recognized and used in accordance with the donor's intent
- Serving on the College's relevant administrative committees.
Supervise, manage and provide oversight to a team of academic professionals and support staff.
The Assistant Dean for Advancement reports to the Dean of the College of Education and to the Senior Associate Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement. The Assistant Dean provides strategic leadership for a team of three professional staff and support staff.
- Bachelor's degree; Master's degree preferred.
- A minimum of seven years of successful experience in advancement/development, preferably at a major research university
- A minimum five years of management experience, preferably leading a development team.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have an appreciation of education and social justice.
- Experience in a position that requires extensive travel
- Familiarity with Blackbaud CRM or similar fundraising database preferred.
Competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To ensure full consideration, application materials must be received by July 21, 2017. Please complete your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of application, resume and the names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Brenda Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org. The proposed starting date is as soon as possible after the closing date.
Interviews may take place prior to the closing date; however, no decision will be made until after that date.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
The Illinois Advancement Community is committed to an ongoing, proactive process to foster and achieve diversity and inclusion in its development, alumni relations and communications activities. We will respect and encourage different voices, perspectives and ideas as we strive to represent individuals of all backgrounds and cultures which include but are not limited to the following: nationality, ethnicity, race, gender, sexuality, spirituality, age and ability who represent our alumni, donors and friends of the University of Illinois.
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Education
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Assistant Dean for Advancement - College of Education (A1700390)
Open Date: 06/23/2017
Close Date: 07/21/2017
Organization Name: Ofc VC Inst Advancement