Graduate Student Advisor
University of Colorado Denver
Graduate Student Advisor
Position #682413 - Requisition #10052
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Business School has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Graduate Student Advisor position.
Located in the heart of downtown, CU Denver provides a vibrant, urban research university experience, with academic programs ranging from the liberal arts and sciences to global energy management, music industry studies and criminal justice among eight schools and colleges. The classroom extends into the city as students study, network and build careers in the surrounding business district. CU Denver unites quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, civic consciousness and driven students-all in the lively setting of downtown Denver. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here.
This full-time staff position reports to the Director of Graduate Advising and provides advising services for the graduate students of the Business School. These advising services help those graduate students progressing toward obtaining the Master of Business Administration degrees and the Master of Science degrees. This full-time professional exempt position embraces a philosophy of student development to foster academic and student success by working with a team of advisors to provide individual and group advising. This position is responsible for managing and monitoring a caseload of diverse students in their development and progress towards their chosen program. This position works collaboratively with advisors, faculty and staff representatives to provide timely and accurate information regarding requirements for completing a graduate degree.
The position develops and facilitates the dissemination of information for sessions and workshops for traditional, non-traditional, veteran and international graduate students. The position contributes to the implementation of orientation advising sessions held each academic year and presents advising information at those orientations. The position utilizes technology extensively to support and implement the school's service delivery model (i.e., electronic note-taking system (EAB SSC), student information systems (CU-SIS), degree audit system; advising by phone, email and other technologies. The position will have responsibilities for the development and implementation of various retention and outreach activities for the center.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The the hiring range for this position is commensurate with skills and experience.
This position is not eligible for overtime compensation
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in business, public administration, education, communications, counseling, psychology, sociology, liberal arts or other related fields.
- Two years of higher education experience in advising or counseling of students.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis, but not for the specific 2 years of experience.
- Master's degree in business, public administration, education, communications, counseling, psychology, sociology, liberal arts or other related fields.
- Five years of higher education experience in advising or counseling of students.
- Experience working with a student information system.
- Experience working with Filemaker.
- Professional experience with social media outlets.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work well with others and to be team oriented.
- Self-motivated, excellent attention to detail, and ability to work with little supervision
- Knowledge of a Student Information System such as CU SIS as well as competency in Microsoft Office programs.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to present to large groups.
- Ability to collaborate with faculty and other staff.
- High degree of reliability and flexibility; ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-cultural environment.
- Strong commitment to the mission and vision of the Business School.
- Ability to work with individuals with diverse academic needs.
- Knowledge of best practices in student advising and retention.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to Lauren Galleri (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by June 30, 2017. Those who do not apply by June 30, 2017. may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30055 - Business School
Posting Date: Jun 23, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lauren Galleri
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00682413