NETWORK OPERATIONAL ENGINEER
JOB NO.: 102308-US
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: DOIT/NETWORK SVCS/NET INFRA
Categories: Computer Science, Information Systems/Technology
Employment Class: University Staff-Ongoing
Position Vacancy ID: 102308
Working Title: Network Operational Engineer
Official Title: IS NET SERV SENIOR NON-EXEMPT(13365)
Hiring Department: A069140-INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY/NETWORK SVCS/NET INFRA
Term: This is an Ongoing appointment
$27.00 - $35.75
The Division of Information Technology (DoIT) provides a complete suite of computer technology services to the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a more limited set of services to UW System and other State of Wisconsin departments and agencies. More information about DoIT is on the DoIT website: https://it.wisc.edu/about/
Network Services is a department within DoIT and is responsible for the management, operation and support of the campus network and associated applications. Network Services is comprised of five groups: Campus Network Engineering; WAN (Wide Area Network) Engineering; Infrastructure; Operations; Field Services; and Network Applications. More information about Network Services is on the NS website: https://it.wisc.edu/about/division-of-information-technology/doit-departments/network-services/
The Network Operations group is the first contact for research of network issues and responsible for resolution or escalation of these issues. Operational Engineers work with both internal and external customers.
This position provides advanced level technical support of network hardware, software and services to ensure that DoIT provides the most efficient network connectivity possible.
Monday - Friday 8:30am - 5:30pm
Instructions to applicants:
To begin the application process please click on the 'Apply Now' button. You will be asked to create a profile and upload a cover letter and resume. Your cover letter must specifically address the required qualifications in the position description.
The required qualifications are:
* 3 year of experience working with Router Technology (particularly the Cisco product line)
* 3 year of experience working with Cat 5e/Cat 6/Gigabit Ethernet, Ethernet switches and fiber optic technology (Cisco).
* 1 year of experience working with various redundancy protocols such as HSRP and VRRP
* 1 Year of experience working with Spanning Tree.
* Knowledge of firewalls and filtering technologies i.e. access lists (Cisco, Palo Alto CheckPoint, NetScreen).
* Effective Customer Service interpersonal skills, both written and oral, and the ability to use an appropriate Information Technology knowledge level in order to successfully interact with customers and staff.
* Have the ability to work effectively in a team environment and collaborate using complex problem solving techniques.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Probationary Period will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: 23 Jun 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: 23 Jul 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time