Senior Public Information Officer (Two (2) Positions)
8AM - 5PM
$60,100 - $89,200
The incumbents are responsible for creating messages, developing copy and providing communications counsel to UCR's faculty and administration for the purpose of enhancing UCR's reputation through marketing and media relations. Work as part of a team of communications professionals, including design, video and Web-based functions to develop and maintain an effective integrated marketing program for internal and external campus audiences. These (2) positions serve as general media relations contacts for assigned areas and academic disciplines to promote key initiatives, respond to requests for information, gather and analyze information and pitch influential reporters. Please note: Applicants for these positions will need to submit samples of their work/portfolios for review by the selection committee. Cover letter required.
Demonstrated experience in writing news and feature articles.
May require knowledge of specialty areas such as broadcast news including TV/radio, internet and other emerging technologies.
Skill to maintain confidentiality.
Thorough knowledge of the concepts and principles of news, media communications and media relations.
Good judgment, political acumen, and thorough organizational skills.
Thorough skills in understanding and effectively utilizing all news/media mediums including broadcast news, the internet, social media and other emerging technologies.
Skill in organizing tasks, documents and materials with efficiency and accuracy. Ability to meet multiple deadlines and manage priorities effectively.
Thorough written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills, including a strong sense of a good story and understanding of the topics that may be of interest to various publics and will incorporate key location messages.
Thorough knowledge of the location, its achievements, mission, vision, goals, objectives, programs and infrastructure.
Demonstrated skill in independently composing written communication materials, for a variety of audiences, using correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, composition, text editing, and proofreading skills. Demonstrated skill in writing concise, logical, grammatically correct, analytical or narrative communication/messages.
Demonstrated skill in making oral and written presentations through various media formats to a wide variety of audiences to provide information, instructions, or explain subjects of interest.
Working knowledge of media database platforms such as Cision, Meltwater, etc.
Skill and experience in identifying and relating to contemporary issues in light of accomplishments by university faculty and research entities.
Demonstrated knowledge of academic and research enterprises, including health issues.
Skill in establishing and maintaining cooperative, friendly and professional working relationships.
Proficiency in applying Associated Press Style standards.
Demonstrated extensive and progressively responsible experience in writing/marketing, journalism or related experience.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview