Associate Director of Vendor Management
Associate Director of Vendor Management
Job Number: 75351
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES (R&DE):
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community in a sustainable and fiscally responsible manner. The Department is the steward for one-third of Stanford's physical plant and has a $234 million annual operating budget. R&DE comprises 800+ staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost (SAVP Office), Student Housing Operations, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of four R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology, Communications, and Maintenance Operations & Capital Projects. R&DE houses 13,000+ students and their dependents while serving over 6.5 million meals annually to students, conference, catering, retail, and concession guests.
The Associate Director develops and implements strategies for strategic purchasing, sourcing, vendor management, and optimal purchasing practices. It partners regularly with Executive Directors of operating divisions within R&DE so as to create efficient and effective processes for expeditious but compliant procurement practices. It is the primary liaison with University Procurement in developing University-wide strategies, global product and service contracts, as well as automated techniques to evaluate and optimize “spend”. Knowledge of hospitality and food purchasing highly preferred. The position manages through others and provides technical and operational leadership for multiple procurement services and functions of a school or unit; supervises, trains and delegates to staff while ensuring operational and financial goals are achieved. CORE DUTIES*:
- Direct staff and provide leadership to achieve goals and vision of the organization. Responsible for hiring and retaining staff, career coaching, personal development for direct reports and accountable for the performance of employees.
- Direct customer acquisition planning for complex contract requirements; drive balance between customer service requirements, government agencies, and Stanford and stakeholder control and compliance requirements; advise management on procurement issues.
- Partner with other leadership to establish the appropriate internal controls to drive compliance with government agencies and procurement policies and procedures. Develop and implement policies, procedures, and practices within R&DE that protect institutional resources and conform to University policies and government regulations. Administer relevant training programs.
- Develop and implement R&DE procurement/contract strategies that result in annual $1-3M cost savings, optimized purchasing power, innovative approaches and efficient operating processes.
- Partner with operations (hospitality, dining, housing, construction, etc.), understanding/anticipating operating needs and proactively implementing strategic procurement approaches to support division initiatives and services.
- Identify opportunities for creative procurement/contract approaches, new commodities/services, and make/buy alternatives to meet operator needs. Stay abreast of industry trends in operations within R&DE.
- Cultivate and manage vendor relationships. Manage contracts with vendors to optimize vendor delivery of service and commodities. Coordinate vendor reviews and contract term execution by vendors.
- Develop improved processes, technology systems enhancements, automation of requests from operators and follow-through status updates to operator clients.
- Coordinate data collection and analysis on procurement trends, client trends. Use spend analytics to develop new strategies and tactics, improve vendor performance, enhance savings and operational efficiencies.
- Manage business operation and administration, and oversee the execution of all budgets in area of responsibility.
- Design, develop, and implement strategies for complex procurement requirements; implement industry best practices to improve efficiency and reduce operating cost; educate internal customers on procurement policies and processes; ensure contracts and procurement processed meet government requirements and expectations; may brief government contracting staff on status of key contracts and topics of interest.
- Assess supplier base; conduct commodity analysis and customer requirements to develop optimal sourcing strategies and initiatives.
- Develop and implement contract management policies and procedures to ensure compliance with contract cost, schedule and business requirements; establish practices to early identify contract performance issues and drive timely resolution.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree with ten years contracts/procurement experience, eight years of supervisory experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- May require extended working hours during peak cycles; travel to unit sites across university and off campus (e.g. vendor sites, conferences, etc.)
Job: Compliance Legal
Location: Residential & Dining Enterprises
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.