Assistant Director of Competitive Sports
Assistant Director of Competitive Sports
Job Number: 75352
Stanford's Department Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation (“DAPER”) supports the nearly 900 student-athletes who compete on the 36 intercollegiate athletic teams sponsored by the university. It also supports the campus physical education, recreation and wellness initiatives. Stanford's intercollegiate athletics department is seen as the premier athletic program in the country, achieving the highest levels of success both in the classroom and on the field. The core tenets of the Athletics Department culture, “The DAPER Way” are: Embrace Scholar-Athleticism, Pursue and Revere Excellence, Lead With Courage, and Work Cohesively. All department actions and employees are guided by these principles.
We are on a mission to become the best college athletics department in the country. Our sports teams speak for themselves in terms of athletic success (combined with the academic success of our student-athletes) and it is our goal to have the business side of our department to be equally top-notch. All employees contribute and help set the tone for the future of the organization. Currently, the Athletics Department is seeking applicants for the position of Assistant Director, Competitive Sports.
Under the direction of the Associate Director of Competitive Sports in Recreation and Wellness, the Assistant Director for Competitive Sports is responsible for the administration, development, and implementation of competitive sports programming for the campus community. The primary focus of this position is to resolve routine issues and manage the Intramural Sports program and assist in Club Sports. Specific responsibilities include program management, supervision of contingent staff, oversight of operating budgets, development and monitoring of program policies and procedures and sport administration of Intramural Sports.
Program Management (50%)
- Plan, manage and asses the Intramural Sports program.
- Implement leagues for multiple sports and schedule needed facilities.
- Develop and implement an intramural sports calendar; including leagues, tournaments and special events.
- Develop and implement extramural events.
- Collaborate with student groups to create/manage leagues and tournaments.
- Responds to customer concerns and comments.
- Create and enforce intramural rules, guidelines and policies; mediate conflicts, rule interpretations, and player ejections. Counsel students when necessary.
- Ensures the collection, dissemination, and organization of enrollment materials, accident reports, assumption of risk forms, and any other required record keeping necessary.
- Ensures written liability and release/waiver information is completed prior to participation.
- Ensures practice of the implementation of safety/risk management procedures are conducting by holding regular mock injury/accident drills via actual rehearsals of proper procedures, emergency response, crowd control, media relations, etc.
- Ensures participant accident reports, employee injury reports, incident reports, and supervisor logs are maintained and reviewed regularly. Ensures recurring accidents, trends or unusual situations are analyzed and identifies probable causes of each accident and effects change if necessary.
- Ensures employees are provided safety training and attend safety meetings regularly. Maintains attendance records of safety meetings
- Contribute to development of marketing materials and strategies, assist in planning and developing programming activities, outreach functions.
- Recommends programming changes, needs and ideas to enhance the utilization of competitive sports programs.
- Seeks creative solutions to problems and initiates improvements to programs, systems and services
- Collaborate with other departments for shared initiatives.
Budget and Administrative Management (20%)
- Oversee the operating budget for Intramural Sports.
- Manage online registration, scheduling, forfeits and payments.
- Manage payroll for student and contingent staff.
- Order and manage equipment inventory for programming.
- Manage IM website content and provide social media content for department.
- Collect and provide quarterly and annual program and participant statistics.
- Select, train, supervise and evaluate student staff including supervisors, officials, scorekeepers and various support staff to maximize staff recruitment, retention and professional growth.
- Develop and implement an orientation program for new staff.
- Schedule and lead intramural sports supervisor meetings when appropriate.
- Create and implement Intramural Sports policies and procedures and train, as well as train team captains and participants on program expectations.
- Provide advice to students on a range of issues, including community standards, etc., in order to assist them in making appropriate choices and decisions.
- Provide student leadership opportunities for staff, captains and participants.
- Develop and maintain program elements to enhance participant experience such as Hall of Fame, MVP awards, Axe Cup, etc.
- Other (10%)
- Assist with club sports including counseling and advisement of club officers, planning logistics, risk management, training and oversight.
- Serve as a resource to other departments; represent Recreation and Wellness at campus events.
- Other duties as assigned or needed.
- Bachelor's degree in the field of kinesiology, exercise science, recreation, or related field required. Master's degree preferred.
- Candidate must have a minimum of one year of experience in campus recreation programming, preferably in sports program management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of current risk management practices in recreation settings, business skills necessary to generate revenue and balance budgets, student management strategies, a general understanding of intramural sports, marketing experience and university programming experience.
- Ability to learn and understand compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to complete tasks under deadline.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities in order to perform a high volume of detailed work with constant interruptions.
- Demonstrated experience in decision making and problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal and people skills as well as a customer service approach.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic analysis and problem solving skills.
- Basic computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Customer service skills.
Certifications and Licenses
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certification
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.