Executive Director of Alumni and Parent Engagement
Executive Director of Alumni and Parent Engagement
Posting Number: S0343
Status: Awaiting Approval
Classification: Administrative/Professional Anticipated Length of Appointment:
Special area(s) of assignment (teaching/research/administration):
Willamette University is pleased to announce an open position for an Executive Director of Alumni and Parent Engagement.
The Executive Director of Alumni and Parent Engagement reports to the Associate Vice President for University Relations.
The Executive Director provides vital leadership for all aspects of the Office of Alumni and Parent Engagement pairing data driven best-practice strategies with the art of relationship-based engagement. Working in close collaboration and partnership with the Associate Vice President for University Relations, the Executive Director will develop and execute a comprehensive strategy to engage alumni and key parents to transform the culture of engagement at Willamette, building, nurturing and strengthening relationships with key members of the Willamette family, resulting in life-long engagement with and support of the university. The Executive Director is responsible for increasing the engagement of Willamette alumni and key parents and reporting progress through the development of strategic engagement metrics. This position supervises staff and develops engagement strategies for alumni and parents of all Willamette colleges—the College of Liberal Arts, the College of Law and the Atkinson Graduate School of Management.
The Executive Director is an effective communicator, serving as a voice on behalf of the university, the alumni, and parent leadership organizations. The Executive Director will travel widely for major alumni and parent events.
The Office of Advancement at Willamette University composed of three units: Development, University Relations and Advancement Strategy & Operations. We strive to maintain a highly collaborative, upbeat, and friendly environment. A sense of humor and positive attitude are helpful.
To learn more about the Office of Advancement, visit http://www.willamette.edu/support/index.html
This is a full-time exempt position. This position is eligible for the University's generous benefits package that includes: medical/dental insurance, sick and vacation accruals, contribution of 10% of gross base pay from the University in exchange for a mandatory contribution of 1% by the employee, tuition remission, and holidays.
Pay is commensurate with experience, background, and education.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Provides visionary leadership to the Office of Alumni and Parent Engagement providing strong management of a dedicated team of individuals. Duties include supervision of a direct report serving as Director of Alumni Engagement at the College of Law.
• Provides effective leadership to, guidance of and support for the Alumni Board and coordinates the involvement of the Board with the university. Works to ensure that Board goals and strategies are aligned with departmental goals and strategies.
• Develops annual and multi-year engagement goals.
• Works with direct reports to develop plans and strategies that marshal resources toward achieving stated goals informed and measured regularly by data.
• Mentors and supervises staff to develop individual potential, high motivation and superior teamwork.
• Recruits, hires and evaluates direct reports.
• Cultivates and stewards strong partnerships with the Directors of Development in the Atkinson Graduate School of Management and College of Law in the implementation of strategic engagement operations.
• Develops key parents’ engagement program, in partnership with the Director of the Willamette Annual Fund, the Associate Vice President for University Relations and the Associate Vice President for Development.
• Identifies, develops and sustains programs and activities that best serve the university and effectively meet the identified needs of the Willamette alumni and parent community.
• Effectively manages projects and resources, directing program improvement, standardizing office systems and procedures to accomplish projects and tasks.
• Manages, maintains and effectively stewards the departmental budget.
• Responds to constituent outreach in a timely, helpful and appropriate fashion.
• Brings and implements a strong understanding of best practice and how to appropriately redefine said practices in a changing industry.
• Works closely with the AVP for University Relations to identify opportunities and build strategic partnerships, both within the campus community and with constituents beyond campus. This includes building strong partnerships within the division of Advancement.
• Partners with the AVP for University Relations to identify and implement a comprehensive engagement strategy and to create metrics for success, both for the program and for each staff member reporting to the Executive Director.
• In conjunction with database administrators, coordinates the collection of constituency engagement data on a consistent and continual basis.
• Other duties as assigned.
Additional Information/About the Department:
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Five or more years’ alumni and/or parent engagement or equivalent experience.
• Possess highly developed computer skills including experience with constituent relations software. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
• Proven record of leadership, management and supervisory skills.
• Personal initiative and an ability to manage projects simultaneously, to set priorities and follow-through on projects.
• Strategic thinker who is creative and willing to think beyond traditional boundaries.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Outstanding work organization and time management skills.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively motivate, train and support staff and volunteers.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment - with a mix of deans, faculty, parents, alumni and staff colleagues. Excellent interpersonal skills and a strong customer service orientation. Is a strong collaborator, seeking partnership and input at all levels.
• Knowledge of modern data management practices and techniques including data-based computerized information systems, data modeling, and models of analysis that leads to effective decision making on behalf of the program.
• Possess a strong commitment to Willamette’s mission and to the importance of Willamette’s relationships with its constituencies. Knowledge of Willamette is an asset.
• Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality regarding sensitive materials and information.
• Must be energetic and self-motivated, possess a strong sense of humor, and work with minimal supervision.
• Willingness to work evenings and weekends and travel.
• Must possess a valid Oregon driver’s license and have a satisfactory driving record.
• Successful clearance of a criminal conviction record check.
• Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of alumni and parent engagement is strongly preferred.
• Three or more years in higher education advancement.
• Experience with Raiser’s Edge strongly preferred.
You will be asked to submit the following documents as part of your application materials:
Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve emphasis
As part of the application you will be asked for professional references, please include contact information including emails.
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed in January 2017 and position will remain open until finalists are selected.
Open Date: 11/10/2016
Open Until Filled: Yes
Apply online at https://jobs.willamette.edu/postings/2306
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.