Coordinator of Leadership and Outdoor Programs
Bridgewater College is seeking a full-time (12-month) Coordinator of Leadership and Outdoor Programs for the Department of Student Life. The position requires night and weekend hours. The position is availability immediately.
The position is responsible for oversight of student leadership and outdoor program initiatives and serves as the primary coordinator for new student orientations, as well as Welcome Week. The successful candidate will be flexible in implementation and development of a comprehensive plan for Outdoor Programs while also developing student staff to lead initiatives reflecting best practice within student life, leadership, and outdoor programming.
- New Student Orientation and Welcome Week
- Select, train, and assess Soar Mentors, the College's peer transition program.
- Plan, organize, and implement Soar Mentor Training.
- In collaboration with others, develop and assess orientation and Welcome Week activities.
- Develop programming that is social, relational, and educational as directed by campus orientation needs.
- Develop and implement a range of leadership programs designed to provide leadership development across a wide range of experiences.
- Implement a freshman leadership program designed to recruit and develop future leaders.
- Work collaboratively with partners across campus to provide leadership training for both campus leaders and advisors.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive weekend outdoor program open to students when school is in session.
- Maintain the Outdoor Center which allows students to check out outdoor equipment and become acquainted with local outdoor parks and recreational areas that are within an easy driving distance.
- Provide eco-friendly and safety educational programming such as: Leave No Trace Behind; Hiking/Camping 101; and being a BC Hike Leader.
- Organize and conduct an annual Outdoor Recreational Fair.
- Coordinate an Alternative Fall Break and Spring Break opportunity.
- Host speakers and films on campus related to leadership and outdoor programming.
- Develop an Outdoor Student Leadership Board which provides leadership in all aspects of planning and leading a trip.
- Manage budget for Outdoor Program Activities.
- Master's Degree in College Student Personnel, Higher Education Administration, Outdoor Recreation or related field required.
- Prior experience in higher education, with progressive responsibility specifically in the areas of orientation and outdoor programs.
- Demonstrated ability performing technical skills and instructing activities associated with several outdoor recreation activities such as rock climbing, kayaking, skiing/snowboarding; wilderness first aid; experiential education and team building.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate outdoor recreation and instructional classes, workshops, clinics, and special events, including team building and participant debriefing of outdoor excursions.
- Wilderness First Aid Responder certified; and current CPR and AED certifications (instructor preferred).
- Clean driving record.
Bridgewater offers Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in more than 60 majors and minors, along with multiple areas of emphasis and concentrations, pre-professional programs such as medicine and law, dual degree programs and teacher certification. The college is a member of NCAA Division III and the Old Dominion Athletic Conference, with 22 intercollegiate athletic teams. The vibrant 300-acre residential campus includes an equestrian center and is located in the town of Bridgewater, Virginia, near the city of Harrisonburg in the center of the Shenandoah Valley. An excellent school system, healthy business environment, numerous arts and cultural events, one of the state's lowest crime rates, and a variety of outdoor opportunities and historic attractions draw many to the region.
For Additional Information: Email email@example.com.
Application: Please complete the online application at https://www.bridgewater.edu/careers and attach a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three references.
Deadline: Review of applications will begin immediately. Position is open until filled.
Bridgewater College is an equal opportunity provider, committed to employing a diverse faculty and staff, and actively seeks applications from women, minorities, and other persons from traditionally under-represented groups.