Job Description Summary:
Job ID: 4167 - FT - Unclassified (salaried)
The Assistant Director of the Office of Equity and Equal Opportunity (OEEO) will support the OEEO's mission of promoting fairness and justice, ensuring that each member of the Miami University community is and feels included and promoting a diverse and welcoming environment that is equally accessible for all who live, learn, work and participate in activities at Miami University.
The Assistant Director, an integral member of the OEEO team, will report directly to the Director of OEEO and work very closely with the Associate Director responsible for investigations. This position will support OEEO’s mission by managing the daily responsibilities associated with responding to and conducting harassment and discrimination investigations. These responsibilities include: developing an investigation plan; informing all parties about the investigatory process; interviewing witnesses; gathering and securing relevant documentation and information; keeping accurate and thorough records and notes; and issuing a detailed report at the conclusion of each investigation. This will be accomplished while maintaining an impartial, unbiased and fair position while acting with sensitivity towards the issues and needs of all parties. This position will work to continuously identify and integrate best practices regarding harassment and discrimination investigations. This position will also respond to incident reports from the Office of Residence Life, manage the OEEO investigation database and track the database for trends.
The Assistant Director will also have responsibility for conducting university-wide, in person harassment and discrimination prevention, Title IX and duty to report training; and manage the online harassment and discrimination prevention training program. Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology, criminal justice, sociology or related field;
- At least one (1) year of experience conducting investigations;
- At least one (1) year of experience conducting training, or any equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Knowledge of non-discrimination regulations;
- Excellent public speaking, interpersonal communication, reasoning and organizational skills;
- Ability to remain neutral, impartial and unbiased; to listen, identify and disseminate essential information needed to assess and resolve complex problems; to manage highly sensitive and confidential communications; to complete projects on a timely basis; to prioritize and manage multiple priorities; to work collaboratively with others and foster positive relationships; to follow directions; to work independent of direct supervision; to serve a diverse student, faculty and staff population with cultural competence and sensitivity;
- Ability and willingness to work evenings, weekends, and/or travel, as needed; and
- Integrity, honesty, consistency, and a strong work ethic are essential to this position.
Work experience gained during the completion of degree programs may be counted towards these requirements.
OEEO Statement: The University is committed to equal opportunity, affirmative action, and eliminating discrimination and harassment. Miami University does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations/or disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Miami University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at: http://miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/. Hard copy available