Academic Advisor for Student Support Services
The University of Mary invites applications for a full-time, exempt Academic Advisor for Student Support Services. Student Support Services is a United States Department of Education Title IV grant-funded “TRIO” program designed to increase retention and graduation rates of low-income, first generation college students, and students with disabilities through an array of retention-based services. The Academic Advisor provides direct services for new and continuing TRIO students at the University of Mary. Services include providing academic advising services for new and at-risk students through proactive mentoring and instruction.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities Include:
- Demonstrate a willingness to support the Christian, Catholic, and Benedictine mission of the University of Mary
- Be available to students by appointment and through drop-in hours and attending campus activities
- Provide student-centered advising and mentoring to students employing a model where the advisor pro-actively reaches out to the student in order to form and maintain a strong working relationship with the student
- As assigned, facilitate the HUM Freshman Seminar for TRIO students, serving as the academic advisor for the students enrolled and attend President Seminars as needed
- Collaborate with faculty, staff, and other student programs and services to identify and assist students
- Understand and comply with federal laws and regulations that govern the SSS program
- Attend meetings with supervisors as scheduled and take appropriate discretion to implement goals, policies, and procedures as requested
- Participate in occasional program activities that may require night/weekend hours
- A Master’s degree in student affairs/student development, education, counseling, social work, psychology, or another field closely related to the position responsibilities preferred
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field required or a Bachelor’s degree in a related field, with previous experience in advising and/or providing support services to college/university students will be considered
- Minimum of three years’ experience, interacting with high school level and/or college level students who came from disadvantaged backgrounds, in the areas of instruction, advising, counseling, leadership, mentoring or tutoring in line with the goals and objectives of the SSS program
- A minimum of three years’ experience in an educational program where the documentation of services was required
- Upholds and promotes the Christian, Catholic, Benedictine mission of the University of Mary
- Supports the ongoing implementation of Ex Corde Ecclesiae, the apostolic constitution on Catholic colleges and universities.
- Builds a culture of ready and earnest hospitality in the Office of Academic Affairs and throughout the university in accord with Saint Benedict’s admonition that all be received as Christ
The University of Mary is a private, Christian, Catholic institution that offers a wide selection of accredited undergraduate and graduate degree programs, delivered at our main campus in Bismarck, North Dakota, as well as via online and evening programs convenient for any schedule. In the Benedictine tradition, we emphasize the values of service and community in every facet of education, and our students are enriched by opportunities to give back. We welcome students of all faiths from all over the world.
For more information on the University of Mary, please watch a short video by clicking on this link: https://youtu.be/Go37Hy6QrVs
We welcome your interest in joining the University of Mary. To apply, e-mail a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com or mail to University of Mary, Attn: Human Resources, 7500 University Drive, Bismarck, ND 58504.
Equal Opportunity Employer