The Discovery Services IT Analyst will work within an applications management team that provides technical support for the current-generation integrated library systems using vendor-supplied tools and services to meet the needs of the libraries and, when necessary, develops and maintains local extensions to the applications.
The analyst will provide consultation, development and analysis for a broad range of projects.
- Manage system configuration tables in a highly customizable environment in order to adapt the application to the needs of the libraries.
- Maintain custom programs and SQL queries as required, either to extend the functionality of the vendor-supplied system, to provide ad-hoc reports based on complex data or for data manipulation.
- Works with departments throughout the Library to determine policy for utilization and configuration of ILS software, identifies unmet functional requirements, develops specifications, evaluates available software or provide advice on in-house development in support of Library activities and services reliant upon ILS-supported systems.
- Provide problem resolution support and system tuning activity during and after systems implementation, independently and collaboratively, by communicating with vendor technical support staff, consulting with campus Office of Information Technology staff and consulting and collaborating with library information technology staff.
- Develops and document programs and scripts that extend system functionality and automate routine tasks; supports the development of progressively improved proof of concept demonstrations of functionality to be delivered; works with technical staff from other university departments to integrate enterprise technology tools with DUL's computing infrastructure.
- Maintain current awareness of trends, issues, and emerging technology projects relative to information technology and supported applications within the Duke University Libraries, across the University, and in industry.
- Consult with the staff members in the Information Technology staff across the University as appropriate.
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
It is the expectation that all Duke University Libraries staff members will demonstrate exceptional workplace behaviors in the execution of their specific position responsibilities. These behaviors are customer focus, collaboration, creative problemsolving, continuous learning and a commitment to diversity.
BA/BS in computer science or a related technical field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred: Master's degree in Information Science, Computer Science, Library Science, or a related field.
- Three years of experience in automation and enterprise application administration
- Demonstrated experience of at least one high-level programming or scripting language (e.g. Java, PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, or C/C++) and experience developing custom applications using at least one of these languages
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Demonstrated commitment to providing outstanding customer service
- Excellent time management and project management skills;
- Demonstrated ability to manage a complex workload, prioritize tasks and use good judgment in providing services based on goals with minimum supervision
- Ability to establish and build collaborative working relationships within a team environment
- Preferred: Prior experience supporting IT in an academic research library; Experience with search engine architectures such as Apache Lucene and Apache SOLR.
- Knowledge of PERL.
- Knowledge of library data and the MARC data format
- Experience with system design, implementation, and integration of online discovery environments; experience with APIs and API frameworks (HTTP/REST/JSON)
- Experience with XML/XSLT and metadata extraction, transformation, and repurposing
- Experience with modifying existing open source code, and testing and clearly documenting code
- Experience with version control systems such as Git Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
The Duke University Libraries have a strong commitment to Affirmative Action and is actively seeking to increase the racial and ethnic diversity of our staff.
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds
- Must be able to work in an environment in which exposure to materials containing dust and mold is possible
- Normal office environment
- Occasional weekend and evening work required
- Occasional travel required
These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Salary and Benefits
Salary dependent on qualifications and experience. Comprehensive benefits package includes 15 days vacation, 13 holidays, 12 days sick leave; health, dental, disability and life insurance and support for professional development and training.
Environment Since its founding in 1924, Duke University has grown into one of the most prestigious private universities in the world and its medical center ranks annually among the top in the nation. The Duke University Libraries are the shared center of the university's intellectual life, connecting people and ideas. The Libraries consist of the Perkins Library, Bostock Library, Rubenstein Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Lilly Library, and Music Library, and the library at the Duke Marine Laboratory in Beaufort. Duke's library holdings of 6.2 million volumes are among the largest of private universities in the United States.
Duke's hometown is Durham, North Carolina, a city with vibrant research, medical and arts communities, and numerous shops, restaurants and theaters.
Durham is located in the Research Triangle, a growing metropolitan area of more than one million people that provides a wide range of cultural, recreational and educational opportunities. The Triangle is conveniently located just a few hours from the mountains and the coast, offers a moderate climate, and has been ranked among the best places to live and to do business.
Duke offers a comprehensive benefit packages which includes both traditional benefits such as health insurance, leave time and retirement, as well as wide ranging work/life and cultural benefits.
Details can be found at: http://www.hr.duke.edu/benefits/index.php. Application An electronic resume, cover letter, and list of 3 references should be submitted at https://hr.duke.edu/careers/apply - refer to Requisition # .
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applications which are missing any of the components listed above will
2423 ANALYST, IT
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Refer to Job Description
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.