Medical Clinic Triage Nurse
Requisition # 2017-7695
Department Health Services
Category Health Services
Date Posted 6/22/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
Princeton University is seeking a self-motivated, knowledgeable, energetic, and flexible nursing professional to serve as a staff nurse within University Health Services. The position entails being cross-trained to support the nursing roles within outpatient medical triage, sexual health & wellness, and travel & immunizations. Outpatient Services are open M-F throughout the year.
The position is a part-time benefits eligible position. The position is temporary, from Septmber 2017 through June 2018.
The nurse in the role of “Triage” determines the acuity and severity of patient symptoms in order to determine priority of care, and monitors the patient until a disposition or medical evaluation occurs. The triage nurse seeks to maintain operational effectiveness of the outpatient clinic by triaging
patients appropriately, managing departmental patient flow, and providing nursing support for physicians and advanced practice clinicians. The triage nurse also provides independent nurse visits to students not requiring a physician visit based on predetermined protocols.
The Sexual Health and Wellness (SHAW) RN provides counseling, education, evaluation and treatment of issues related to sexual and reproductive health of and gynecological concerns to a diverse population, in an inclusive and non-judgmental manner, including but not limited to birth control discussions, sexually transmitted disease testing, and options counseling. The Registered Nurse also provides support to the Nurse Practitioners, physicians, and OB/GYN specialists.
The Registered Nurse, Allergy and Immunization Services provides allergy immunotherapy injections, travel related and routine immunizations. The Registered Nurse provides some travel planning independently and maintains contact with students' allergists.
- Licensed as a registered nurse in the state of New Jersey
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree (BSN)
- A minimum of 3 years nursing experience in an acute care setting
- Triage experience
- Ability to perform physical assessments independently
- BLS certification
- Delegation skills
- Ability to physically ambulate/move patients
- Ability to move frequently throughout unit and stand for periods of time
- Good judgment and independent thinking
- Ability to prioritize and effectively manage diverse tasks, often with interruptions
- Ability to dispense prescribed medications in accordance with protocols
- Computer literacy, including Email, ability to learn Medicat, and ability to use Excel (documentation is an important aspect of this position)
- Excellent Organizational skills
- Detail oriented
- Ability to respond quickly and appropriately to emergencies, including ability to obtain IV access and administer medications intramuscularly
- Ability to maintain an inventory
- Skilled in Immunization administration and Allergy injections or willingness to learn
- Background in the essentials of travel planning, or willingness to learn
- Vaccine knowledge, knowledge of vaccine procedures and adverse reactions, or willingness to learn
- Knowledge of birth control, sexually transmitted infections, and options counseling, or the willingness to learn
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Work Schedule, If Other Than Standard Hours
3 days per week
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Estimated Appointment End Date
Comments Related to End Date
this is a 10 month term position
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.