Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
The Linda Crnic Institute (LCI) at the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, CO is seeking a detail oriented, highly motivated and enthusiastic full-time Professional Research Assistant to work under the joint supervision of Katheleen Gardiner, PhD and Joaquin Espinosa, PhD. The position involves maintenance of a mouse colony composed of several models of Down syndrome; design, execution and analysis of experiments in mouse behavior, treatment and molecular studies. The qualified candidate will establish, maintain and independently perform experiments using various mouse models of Down syndrome.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- mouse husbandry and genotyping
- mouse handling, behavioral training/testing, euthanasia
- necropsy and tissue harvesting, including brain dissections
- protein/RNA/DNA extraction
- functional and molecular assays
- data analysis
- animal imaging
Experienced researchers are encouraged to apply for this PRA position.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Bachelor's degree education in biology, chemistry or related sciences
- 1-5 years of laboratory experience with emphasis in mouse models and various molecular biology techniques
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member, with supervision separately by two principal investigators and current laboratory staff
- Mouse colony management, handling and testing of mice
- Working knowledge of molecular biology techniques for protein, RNA and DNA analysis
- Strong quantitative analysis skills, including statistics; excellent written and oral communication skills, and strong word processing skills
- Ability to develop new techniques and methods through literature searches
- Self-motivated; highly organized, with demonstrated project planning and management skills in an academic research setting
Desired knowledge and skills:
- Extensive laboratory research experience working with fragile and difficult-to-breed mouse models
- Genomic, gene-expression and proteomic platform use and understanding
- Brain region structure and function
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact; all application materials are required to be included in your online application.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 10001
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21393 - SOM-Linda Crnic Inst Gen Ops
Posting Date: Jun 22, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Angela Kirkpatrick
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00050140