JOB NO.: 91031-AS
Work Type: Staff Full or Part Time, Staff-Full Time, Staff-Part Time
Department: SMPH/EMERG MED
Categories: Accounting, Finance, Purchasing
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 91031-AS
Working Title: Finance Director
Official Title: SR ACCOUNTANT(R10BN) or ACCOUNTANT(R10DN)
Hiring Department: A534100-MEDICAL SCHOOL/EMERG MED
FTE: 50% - 100%
Anticipated Begin Date: JULY 25, 2017
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $60,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
Completion of a Bachelor's degree in accounting or closely related field such as business or finance is strongly preferred. CPA and post-award research administration experience desirable.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
- Knowledge and experience with the principles and practices of governmental accounting, including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Several years of progressively responsible experience in accounting are preferred.
- Significant experience in general ledger work, including advanced professional accounting principles and auditing theory.
- Experience in planning, developing and managing budgets, including research budgets.
- 3-5 years experience in statistical/financial/information analysis, demonstrating advanced analytical and problem solving skills.
- 3-5 years experience with computer systems, spreadsheet and database applications, data flow, report creation and data interpretation required.
- Advanced working knowledge of the full Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated understanding of academic medicine's multiple missions of education, research, clinical and community service is preferred.
- Excellent oral/written communication, ability to successfully interact with physicians/faculty, team building, creativity, flexibility, collaboration, organization assessment, and decision-making.
This advanced professional level position provides accounting, budgeting, and financial management services within the BerbeeWalsh Department of Emergency Medicine (DEM). Many of these responsibilities are performed in close consultation with the Department Administrator, Department Chair, Vice Chair of Research, and other senior leadership. This position provides leadership in the areas of financial analysis, faculty compensation, gift and endowment account management, university funds oversight, post-award administration, contract management, accounts payable, and policy and procedure development and training. Due to the highly complex nature and variety of automated systems, this position provides direction, policy guidance, technical assistance, and financial expertise to management, faculty, staff, and external partners.
The position functions with a great degree of independence in performing the duties and responsibilities and is required to have excellent interpersonal skills as well as an understanding of the structure, policies, procedures and complex automated financial and research management computer systems. The candidate is expected to model a high degree of professionalism, which includes demonstrating honesty, integrity, initiative, accountability and a commitment to altruism in all work interactions and responsibilities.
Candidates must demonstrate initiative, and an understanding of operational efficiencies and cost containment. Understanding of academic medicine's multiple missions of education, research, clinical and community service is preferred. This position also requires physician relations, and oral/written communication, team building, systems expertise, creativity, flexibility, collaboration, organization assessment, and decision-making.
The School of Medicine and Public Health has a deep and profound commitment to diversity both as an end in itself but, also as a valuable means for eliminating health disparities. As such, we strongly encourage applications from candidates who foster and promote the values of diversity and inclusion.
To see the principal duties of this position, please click on the "Full Position Details" link below.
Instructions to applicants:
Your application must be received through Jobs at UW portal to be considered as a candidate. To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button. You will be asked to submit a resume and cover letter that describes your qualifications as they relate to the minimum qualifications listed in the position description.
Please provide responses to the following in your cover letter:
1. Please describe your experience in planning, developing and managing budgets, including research budgets.
2. Please describe in detail the electronic data systems you have experience with for the following activities: account summaries and reconciliation, purchasing and expenditure reimbursements.
3. Please describe your level of experience with Microsoft Excel, including examples of reports or spreadsheets you use(d) and how the spreadsheet helped you do your work.
4. Please describe your knowledge and experience with Federal expenditure guidelines including reconciliation and management of grant balances.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: 22 Jun 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: 20 Jul 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time