Assistant/Associate Director of Development, Foundation Relations
Assistant/Associate Director of Development, Foundation Relations
The university recently successfully completed The Campaign for St. Edward's University: Opening Doors to Their World. The Campaign united more than 14,000 donors to support today's students. Their gifts exceeded $100.6 million (and our goal) with more than half designated for scholarships including 33 new endowments. Six new or renovated buildings have increased campus technology and spaces for learning, research and student life. We've constructed new facilities for academics including the Munday Library and Campus Ministry and made significant repairs and renovations to three historic landmark buildings. The successful completion of two consecutive campaigns provides great momentum as the university finalizes Strategic Plan 2022 and a new Campus Master Plan. These strategic planning initiatives will inform future university priorities, as the advancement team remains focused on bolstering the endowment and initiatives that enhance the continuing development of a vibrant campus life.
As a member of the Development team, the Assistant/Associate Director of Development, Foundation Relations, will secure major gifts from private, family and corporate foundations with an added emphasis on prospective funders that have a national presence. Reporting to the Director of Development, Foundation Relations, the Assistant/Associate Director will be open to working closely with colleagues in the university's Office of Sponsored Programs, faculty, program directors and Academic Deans. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of securing philanthropic support and evidence of direct solicitation experience is required. A history of successful solicitation with national funders is preferred. Additionally, the Assistant/Associate Director will work collaboratively with all of University Advancement including the Development, Alumni and Parent Programs, Constituent Relations and Advancement Services teams.
• Establish and strengthen relationships with foundations that have the capacity to make current gifts of $25,000 or more. Additionally, working with trustees, alumni and friends of the university to identify and steward relationships with existing as well as new foundation donors with the capability to make gifts of $100K or more.
• Prepare proposals, project budgets, case statements, stewardship reports and other written materials to support development efforts.
• Manage a portfolio of foundations using a moves management system to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward foundation prospects in donor pipeline.
• Utilize donor database to record all contacts, plans and essential donor information and to ensure that proposals, renewals and reports are submitted on time.
• Solicit annual gifts when appropriate from foundation prospects under management.
• Develop strategies, prepare briefing reports and coordinate execution of foundation activities for key university administrators and volunteer leaders.
• Conduct upwards of 50-75 personal visits and significant interactions annually.
• Attend events related to major prospective donors, including signature events hosted by the division, such as Homecoming and Presidential Receptions.
• Collaborate with external group and volunteer leaders to identify new foundations for relationship building and collaborate with internal members of the university community.
• Work individually and with research staff to identify and qualify foundation prospects.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• A bachelor's degree required; master's degree preferred.
• A minimum of two years of fundraising field work which includes responsibilities for building relationships with individuals, foundations and corporations; fundraising experience in the higher education sector preferred.
• Exceptionally strong writing and verbal communication skills required.
• Proven track record of soliciting gifts.
• Preference will be given to candidates who have demonstrated solicitation success with national foundations.
• Enthusiasm for direct, on-going personal interaction with foundation donors and their representatives required.
• Understanding and appreciation for private higher education, especially Catholic higher education.
• Experience using Microsoft Office, foundation specific search engines such as Foundation Search or Foundation Directory, and fundraising software systems.
• Willingness to travel regularly on behalf of St. Edward's University.
• Ability to participate in a collaborative environment and facilitate relationships with all areas of the University community.
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative in planning, organizing, and effectively presenting ideas and concepts.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and problem solve quickly.
• Ability to work independently as well as on a team.
• Completion of an employment and/or criminal history background check required of successful applicant
• Position is security senstitive
About St. Edward's University
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,600 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward's emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the approximately 800 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students.
About Austin, Texas
Consistently ranked as one of the "top metropolitan areas to live in," by numerous independent media outlets, Austin attracts approximately 50 new residents a day and has been one of the nation's fasting growing cities. St. Edward's is in the heart of this thriving, entrepreneurial and cosmopolitan city, providing students, faculty and staff with opportunities to live, learn and grow in an environment that offers a wealth of resources and opportunities. In fact, Austin is home to 17 companies on the Inc. 5000 list and boasts 1.7 times the national average of startups. Additionally, as one of the world's great technology centers, Austin, sometimes referred to as "Silicon Hills," is home to technology heavyweights like Dell, National Instruments and Silicon Labs.
For more on the City of Austin's offerings, visit The Austin Convention & Visitors Bureau webpage.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply for this position at www.stedwards.applicantpro.com Please attach your rsum, letter of interest, list of three references, and one relevant writing sample of not more than three pages to the online application.
Due to the volume of anticipated inquiries, no phone calls, please. This is a full time position with excellent benefits. Salary is commensurate with qualifications. Summary information on the St. Edward's University benefits package can be found here.
St. Edward's University is an equal opportunity employer, and hires only U.S. citizens and documented workers.