Associate Director of Athletics, Facilities and Operations
The Associate Director of Athletics for Facilities and Operations will provide leadership and oversight of athletic facilities and operations and will work closely with university facilities staff on current facility improvements, renovations, and new construction. The successful candidate will ensure smooth communications and coordination in scheduling facilities and events with coaches, athletic department staff and other campus staff, as well as ensure compliance with all federal, National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), conference, university, and state regulations as they relate to athletics facilities. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Lead, develop and manage the facilities master planning initiatives for athletic facilities and work strategically with other members of athletics department leadership team to improve facilities processes and policies on a continual basis;
- Assist with the development of short-and long-range plans for facility renovations; serve as athletic department project coordinator for facility renovations, remodeling and development;
- Plan and monitor budgets for facility projects; review procedures to establish maintenance schedule of equipment and facilities; Assist with budget evaluation and planning to continually improve funding toward facility and service improvements;
- Collaborate with partner areas within University Facilities to plan short and long term opportunities to provide improvements to both indoor and outdoor athletic facilities, including more efficient execution of deferred maintenance projects;
- Coordinate work orders with the university's Department of Facilities and provide follow-up as needed to ensure that work is completed properly and in a timely manner;
- Develop, implement and supervise building policies and procedures relative to the operation, management and maintenance of all athletic facilities;
- Collaborate with Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) to develop emergency procedures, as well as establish, interpret and review athletic/recreational facility safety policies and procedures; maintain certifications, safety records, reports, and effective communication with outside agencies;
- Develop and implement security policies and procedures for all athletic facilities, in conjunction with public safety and other appropriate constituencies;
- Coordinate current maintenance and repair needs, and serve as the primary point person for vendors and external contractors providing service in all athletic facilities;
- Monitor of daily operations and planning and coordinating of maintenance and repairs;
- Hire, train and supervise Athletic facilities personnel; provide and coordinate staff training;
- Assess, coordinate and monitor all maintenance, custodial, and landscaping work performed for the Athletic Department and its venues;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in sports administration, facilities management, or other relevant field, Master's Degree preferred, and a minimum of ten-plus (10+) years of full-time experience in athletic operations, construction management or facilities development/management, preferably at a National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) institution, required. Demonstrated knowledge of construction codes, health and safety regulations, financial and management practices, purchasing, and state and local regulations regarding the maintenance of buildings and equipment required. Demonstrated experience and comprehensive knowledge and understanding of athletic facility development, facilities operations and supervision in an intercollegiate setting strongly preferred. Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) accreditation preferred. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) safety certification preferred.
- Knowledge and proficiency of various administrative software applications and programs, including Microsoft Office;
- Demonstrated experience in budget preparation & management
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment and handle confidential information with discretion;
- Ability to direct, prioritize, and perform detailed work with accuracy under time constraints;
- Ability to trouble-shoot and problem solve creatively as well as think strategically and contribute to a team environment;
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews:
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three professional work references.
- Professional Union.
- Full time. Benefited.
- Unrestricted funding.
- Grade 34, salary associated to Grade 36 (see link below for salary chart).
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Closing date for applications: July 21, 2017.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information. In addition to federal law requirements, the University of Massachusetts Boston complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment. Among the procedures which may be used to select personnel to fill vacant positions are review of work experience, reference checks, and interviews. All appointments and promotions will be effective on a Sunday.