Desktop Support Specialist
Desktop Support Specialist
The Desktop Support Specialist plays a vital role in the daily operation of the IT Help Desk and the technology support of Emerson College students, staff, and faculty. This role is responsible for primary Tier 2 computer support by completing assigned trouble tickets across campus, and will interact with customers and stakeholders daily. Additionally, this role will require you to provide necessary support to our Help Desk student employees.
The Desktop Support Specialist is a forward facing position and as part of IT, duties will also include regular and frequent customer communication, and participating in student staff training opportunities and departmental documentation efforts.
This is a bargaining unit position. In this position, you will be exclusively represented by the Service Employees International Union, Local 888 for purposes of wages, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Campus Location: Boston Campus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; you must be able to explain complicated computer issues succinctly and clearly
- Strong listening and comprehension skills; you must be able to interpret computer issue explanations from users and make decisions and recommendations
- Strong computer troubleshooting skills; you will interact with a great variety of software and hardware, and should feel comfortable troubleshooting problems in various settings. This includes Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, Kaspersky Antivirus, Microsoft Windows, and Apple’s macOS. You should also be comfortable with Dell and Apple hardware troubleshooting and basic maintenance.
- The ability to see a problem through to resolution, know when to escalate, and when to let the customer get back to work
- Excellent personal time management skills; this role is demanding of your time and resources, and you must be able to fit everything in
- A genuine passion for customer support; helping people solve computer problems comes naturally to you, and you want to help our users improve their relationship with technology just as much as you want to make them happy
Dell and Apple certification or related IT certifications. Understanding of basic networking and telecommunications technologies.
Required Prior Work Experience:
At least two years working in a position of direct user support for computer technology. A strong focus on customer service and experience.
Emerson College believes diversity enriches the educational experience by providing students with the opportunity to learn from individuals who may have different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Engagement with diversity in the curriculum, in our co-curricular offerings, and all other aspects of the College enhances the personal and intellectual growth of all members of our campus community. Emerson is committed to strengthening communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development of the intercultural competencies necessary for meaningful citizenship in an increasingly complex, pluralistic society.
Open Date: 06/21/2017
Classification Title: Intermdiate IC
Salary Grade: 15
Job Family: Individual Contributor
To apply, please visit: www.emerson.edu