University Associate General Counsel - Education Unit, Office of the General Counsel & Vice Chancel
The Office of the General Counsel and Vice Chancellor for Legal Affairs at The City University of New York (CUNY) seeks an experienced attorney to provide in-house legal guidance on employee and student related matters, particularly labor/employment, contract arbitrations, collective bargaining agreements, employee discipline, higher education compliance, administrative proceedings, and litigation. As a University Associate General Counsel the successful attorney will: represent the University and its campuses in labor contract arbitrations, employee disciplinary proceedings, and administrative hearings; provide advice on labor and employment issues involving faculty and staff; serve as in-house liaison on litigations handled by the offices of the Attorney General and Corporation Counsel; investigate and respond to allegations of misconduct; handle discrimination complaints filed with the EEOC, state and local human rights agencies, and the Office for Civil Rights of the US Department of Education; and advise and handle proceedings relating to student misconduct. The position reports to the Senior Associate General Counsel for the Education Unit.
In general, all University Associate General Counsels perform duties that may include the following: handle legal proceedings; give legal advice; work in partnership with University and campus-based staff members, as well as external constituencies; participate in developing and drafting policies; conduct legal research; prepare legal documents; and supervise full and/or part-time non-attorney staff members or student employees as assigned.
J.D. and five years related experience required. Membership in New York State Bar required.
The successful candidate will have the following experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- At least three years of experience in law practice required; five years preferred.
- Experience litigating adversarial proceedings, with employment discrimination litigation, labor arbitrations or criminal trials preferred.
- Experience with public sector employment, collective bargaining, and labor issues preferred.
- Experience investigating and responding to administrative and discrimination complaints preferred.
- Experience investigating and responding to allegations of misconduct preferred.
- Knowledge of relevant state and federal employment laws and government compliance requirements applicable to employment and labor relations.
- Ability to work effectively in varied situations involving extensive client contact, adversarial proceedings and negotiations with diverse stakeholders of various organizational levels.
- Strong work ethic, character and personal integrity to work with the utmost professionalism, discretion, confidentiality and diplomacy.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal communication and presentation skills.
- Strong negotiation, dispute/conflict resolution, mediation, conciliation and group facilitation skills.
- Detail oriented and accurate with exceptional critical analysis, research and evaluation skills, ability to be decisive and draw valid conclusions.
- Work productively as an individual contributor and collaboratively as a team member in a confidential, time-sensitive and customer responsive office.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to establish plans, manage a large and varied workload of assignments with conflicting priorities, follow up and complete work by prescribed deadlines.
- Computer proficiency using standard office programs, plus law/legal database applications and systems.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides professional in-house legal advice, representation, and assistance on a wide variety of issues and participates in evaluating and developing University policy related to legal matters.
- Represents the University and its campuses at various types of internal and external meetings, negotiations, proceedings, and other activities
- Provides legal counsel and guidance to University and campus leadership
- Assists outside counsel and works as a team with other in-house and college attorneys
- Provides legal and policy analysis of issues and participates in developing and drafting policy
- May be assigned to one or more area of legal specialization as detailed below under Campus-Specific information
- May supervise non-attorney staff and/or student employees
- Performs other related duties, as assigned
Higher Education Officer
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with education, qualifications and experience
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, submit a cover letter and rsum online via CUNY's web-based job system, addressing how your experience and credentials fulfill the responsibilities and qualifications outlined.
The direct link to the job opening from external sources is:
Open until filled; the review of applications will begin July 5, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Central Office
Job Title: University Associate General Counsel - Education Unit, Office of the General Counsel & Vice Chancellor for Legal Affairs
Job ID: 17010
Full/Part Time: Full-Time