Assistant Director of Pre-College Programs
University of Delaware
Job Title Assistant Director of Pre-College Programs
Job ID 104729
Location Newark, DE
PAY GRADE: 29E
DEADLINE: Open until Filled
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The Assistant Director is responsible for assisting the Director in connecting middle-school and early high school students to post-secondary opportunities and associated preparation, especially as it relates to the University of Delaware. The Assistant Director will assist in the coordination of new and existing partnerships and programming with a variety of on- and off-campus partners including Community Based Organizations (CBOs). In addition, a strong focus of the position will be to foster preparation for, access to, and success within institutions of higher education - UD in particular - for historically underserved groups. The Assistant Director will manage and support summer programs including Edge and the Pre-College Summer Institute. The Assistant Director of Pre-College Programs reports to the Director of Pre-College Programs.
- Assist in the development, and manage summer college programs that broadly serve to attract high school students from around the world and showcase the University as a desirable destination for their future matriculation. Develop and manage programmatic infrastructure including hiring and supervision of short-term faculty and staff.
- Assist the Director in the engagement of existing UD programs that reach out to pre-college populations.
- Coordinate processes and support the development of programming at Community Based Organizations that supports preparation of pre-college student populations historically underserved in higher education, especially first generation, low income, and students of color.
- Research best practices on pre-college programming for underserved, low-income, and high-achieving students.
- Deliver on-campus and off-campus presentations about pre-college programs.
- Review applications for pre-college summer programs, network and build relationships between high school counselors, pre-college students, and parents.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and two-three years of direct or related experience.
- Experience in pre-college programs and college admissions preferred.
- Effective written and oral communication and organizational skills. Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish is desirable. Ability to present effectively to small and large groups.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Knowledge of pre-college programs, student recruitment, retention issues and admissions standards.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently as a team member to achieve common goals. Ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Proficient computer skills and use of presentation software.
Special Requirements: This position requires weekend and extended hours, particularly during the summer months and occasionally throughout the academic school year. In addition, this position will be required to serve as a live-in coordinator for the duration of the College Readiness Scholars Institute, held for two weeks in July.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html