In addition to applying online, please submit a cover letter and resume to: Patty Hight Davis, Administrative Manager at email@example.com Summary Assist the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) and Associate Chair for Teaching (ACT) to plan, coordinate, and administer activities within the Graduate Program of the Department of Physics; develop, guide, and inform on policy related to the Duke Graduate School.
• Plan, coordinate, and manage all day-to-day operations of the Graduate Program and admissions process.
• Make operational and programmatic decisions that have a significant impact on the successful achievement of the Graduate Program strategies and objectives; develop, coordinate, and advise graduate students and staff regarding Graduate School and Payroll policy.
• Prepare Graduate Program budget; monitor graduate budget and payroll, verify and reconcile expenditure of Graduate School and Trinity College of Arts & Sciences budgeted funds as appropriate; prepare monthly reports for Administrative Manager, DGS and ACT.
• Budget for, coordinate, and participate in all graduate recruitment activities, including Open House event, individual recruiting visits, and web-based long distance recruitment activities; prepare and organize orientation week for arriving graduate students; coordinate office space for new students, and lead departmental orientation meeting.
• Manage extensive web-based Departmental graduate admissions process; provide administrative support to the Graduate Admissions Committee.
• Administer and manage the compensatory and non-compensatory payroll actions for all Physics graduate students.
• Coordinate administrative process for Teaching Assistant (TA)-Research Assistant (RA) assignments for fall, spring, and summer semesters; work with faculty to facilitate timely TA-RA assignment decisions; work with grant managers to provide faculty with financial reports, past support information, and other information as needed to make TA-RA assignments; follow-up with grant managers after assignments are received from faculty to facilitate updates to payroll and graduate school online systems.
• Monitor individual graduate student progress and advise students as needed; interpret and communicate departmental, programmatic and institutional policies to graduate students.
• Plan all preliminary, propositional, and Ph.D. defense exams; record academic and personnel data for all graduate students; maintain comprehensive data of all past Physics graduate students.
• Monitor and evaluate program effectiveness; prepare reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends, and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
• Act as liaison between graduate students and the DGS; maintain liaison with other programs, offices and departments at Duke to coordinate program business and to accomplish Graduate Program objectives.
• Ensure cooperative efforts are enhanced and available resources are utilized in all interactions with various related administrative functions including budget, sponsored projects/payroll, bursar, international office, graduate school/admissions and partner graduate and certificate programs.
• Represent Graduate Program on behalf of the DGS, ACT, and the Chair to the University and the public.
• Represent Graduate Program to industry partners and other external organizations.
• Coordinate and participate in activities to maximize external funding for graduate students. Maintain information on student fellowship opportunities for graduate students.
• Inform and advise Chair, ACT, DGS and Graduate Curriculum Committee on Departmental policies; advise Chair, ACT, DGS and Graduate Curriculum Committee on Grad School regulations, institutional and Departmental policies.
• Provide administrative assistance to DGS and ACT to support the accomplishment of program objectives.
• Create content for and supervise the production of webpages, brochures, bulletins, and electronic media aimed specifically at graduate student recruitment.
• Train employees in proper methods and procedures and ensure correctness of work.
Duke Graduate School Policies and Forms Duke General Accounting Procedures Budget Projections Trend Analysis Computer Skills: Microsoft Office, iForms Payroll Processing, Graduate School Student Funding (GSSF), DukeHub (Student Information Services & Systems SISS / STORM / ACES), Online Database Management Applications. Event Coordination Supervision/Counseling
2321 PROGRAM COORD
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires analytical, communications and organizational skillsgenerally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program.
Work requires one year of experience in program administration orinvolving academic, instructional or counseling activities to acquireskills necessary to plan, coordinate and implement a variety of programactivities and events.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.