ASSIST DIR, ALUMNI AFFAIRS - FUQUA
ASSIST DIR, ALUMNI AFFAIRS - FUQUA
Assistant Director, Alumni Relations Development and Alumni Relations The Fuqua School of Business The Assistant Director, Alumni Relations identifies alumni who are interested in becoming more engaged with Fuqua or with whom the school would like to be more engaged; creates, sources, manages, and defines alumni engagement opportunities, including volunteerism and philanthropy; communicates these opportunities to alumni; and tracks involvement in such activities. This position reports to the Director of Alumni Relations and collaborates with the Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) team and other Fuqua and Duke University departments on overall strategy, initiatives and events.
Alumni and Volunteer Engagement
• Identify alumni who would like to begin or increase their engagement with Duke, conducting in-person meetings and phone calls to gauge areas of interest and identify appropriate pathways, including volunteerism and philanthropy.
• Qualify alumni regarding their philanthropic interests and potential, providing appropriate hand-offs to other front-line Fuqua staff as necessary.
• Support affinity programming for alumni by providing suggestions for content, creating marketing, and supporting events.
• Serve as strategic leader for Fuqua's regional alumni presences by providing regular, proactive communication to and with alumni volunteers for Fuqua and Duke Alumni Affairs.
• Lead planning for Fuqua's worldwide social event for alumni and admitted students ("Fuqua Around the World"), including volunteer management and event execution.
• Travel to regions with major alumni populations and/or conduct virtual meetings in regions with more sparse alumni populations to meet with alumni, either individually or in small groups.
• Communicate ways alumni may stay involved with Fuqua in their region and identify alumni who are appropriate for and who are interested in getting more involved with Duke activities on a regional level.
• Source Fuqua alumni leaders for Duke regional alumni boards, ensuring that Fuqua is well-represented and that Fuqua alumni programming needs are supported by regional alumni groups.
• Support opportunities to partner with peer business schools and other schools at Duke to maximize regional alumni programming and networking opportunities.
• Collaborate with Fuqua colleagues, including Development & Alumni Relations, Admissions, Career Management, and Executive MBA program staffs to articulate and catalog alumni volunteer opportunities and identify and train alumni for volunteer roles.
• Collaborate with Duke Alumni Affairs to support a unified Duke regional presence, ensuring Fuqua's priorities and needs are articulated in the process. Serve as primary liaison to Duke University regional alumni managers to leverage university events and activities and be an effective part of the larger Duke network.
• Bachelor's degree required.
• Experience in higher education, alumni relations, or development preferred.
• Successful volunteer management experience, including identifying, cultivating, training and stewarding individuals.
• Successful project management experience, including meeting numerous deadlines and objectives and managing multiple concurrent projects with limited resources.
• Refined written and oral communication and customer service skills.
• Experience and comfort in interacting with students, alumni and parents, including senior level executives.
• Excellent teamwork and collaboration skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and experience handling confidential information.
• Creativity, adaptability, diplomatic skills and sense of humor.
• Willingness and ability to travel (6-8 domestic trips per year) and work on evenings or weekends as necessary.
• Strong work ethic in a fast-paced, results-oriented team environment.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Windows, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) and willingness and ability to master proprietary database tools.
• Knowledge of The Fuqua School of Business and/or Duke University preferred.
Note: The above job description is not to be construed as a complete listing of assignments that may be given to any employee, nor are such assignments restricted to those precisely listed in this description.
1356 ASSIST DIR, ALUMNI AFFAIRS
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Work requires organizational and communication skills generally required through completion of a bachelors program.
Work requires three years of experience in alumni affairs, public relations, fund raising, sales and promotions, and other administrative or programmatic capacity to acquire skills necessary to plan, organize and implement alumni events and activities and provide general organizational assistance. OR ANY OTHER EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OREXPERIENCE.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.