MANAGER, COMMUNICATIONS AND EVENTS
MANAGER, COMMUNICATIONS AND EVENTS
Duke Human Vaccine Institute - Admin
Manager, Communications and Events
The Manager, Communications and Events will be responsible for coordination, evaluation and management of all internal/external communications and events related to the Duke Human Vaccine Institute (DHVI) and the Duke Center for HIV/AIDs Vaccine Immunology and Immunogen Discovery (CHAVI-ID). The Manager, Communications and Events will be responsible for designing and implementing a strategic communications plan at the DHVI by developing content for effective and innovative communications, with emphasis on website strategies, design, and management and other forums of social media, newsletters, annual reports, and special scientific events. This position will interface regularly with DHVI leadership and other DHVI operational units and directly report to the Director of Program Management in support of communications and events.
- Responsible for all DHVI communication strategies and activities as well as oversight for events planning and execution.
- Lead initiatives to establish the DHVI brand, mission, and values within the DHVI, Duke, and scientific research community.
- Design and manage DHVI's web presence coordinating development and maintenance of websites architecture and appearance. Provide technical assistance to website owners and editors to keep sites refreshed and reflective of latest research efforts.
- Develop and manage content, including original stories, articles, graphics, videos, press releases, publications updates, photos, and multimedia, for multiple websites, DHVI intranet, and social media, including the DHVI Facebook and LinkedIn pages.
- Publish the DHVI Annual Report, DHVI scientific newsletters, promotional/educational materials, including writing, design, and photography.
- Publish the DHVI employee newsletter to include writing articles, coordinating with contributors, providing photographic services, and performing layout duties.
- Oversee the DHVI Manager of Event Planning to ensure the successful execution of DHVI events including employee appreciation events, scientific review meetings, DHVI scientific symposia and all other meetings/events. Discuss objectives and requirements for events with DHVI leadership and assist with the related strategic planning process to ensure events are successfully executed and within budget parameters. Conduct post-event evaluation and identify opportunities for process, program, and fiscal improvement.
- Manage faculty profiles and publication lists for websites using Scholars@Duke and Elements@Duke systems.
- Assist with newsletters, publications, and abstracts related to the CHAVI-ID renewal process, CHAVI-ID annual meeting, and CHAVI-ID SAB meeting.
- Develop, maintain, and manage communications, meetings, and event budgets keeping within established parameters, and liaising with vendors as needed in support of communications projects and events.
- Oversee publication compliance for large DHVI research grants, including manuscript submissions to the NIH Manuscript Submission System (NIHMS) and reporting publications to the NIH using the My NCBI system.
- Lead and/or assist with special projects and assignments as needed.
EDUCATION, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Work requires organizational, strategic planning, analytical and communication skills generally acquired through the completion of a Bachelor's degree in a relevant field
- A minimum of four years of experience in communications or related area
- Experience with print and electronic mediums including content management systems
- Strong project management skills
- Webpage design and Drupal platform experience a plus
- Event planning experience is a plus
- Proficiency in office computer skills such as MSWord, Excel, etc.
- Must have excellent oral/written communication skills
- Must be team oriented and able to work in a highly collaborative work environment
- Must be detail-oriented, well organized, and able to manage multiple priorities
1218 COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGIST
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires communications, marketing, strategic planning, analytical and organizational skills generally required through completion of Bachelor's degree in journalism, public relations, communications,English or a related field.
Requires four years of experience in journalism, public relations,marketing or related field with experience posting and publishing through print and electronic mediums, including content management systems. Work requires communications, analytical and organizational skills necessary to manage and coordinate a variety of tasks. Experience working in an academic environment is preferred.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.