Seeking Research Pathologist for a full-time position with benefits now available. The Research Pathologist position is in Dr. Fred R. Hirsch's Biomarker Analysis Research
Laboratory, Department of Medicine-Division of Medical Oncology at the University of
Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus located in Aurora, CO. The goal of the Biomarker
Analysis Laboratory is to 1) identifying predictive biomarkers for the effective treatment of lung cancer, 2) identify prognostic biomarkers to aid in better treatment decisions for lung cancer patients, and 3) identify biomarkers for early detection of lung cancer. The Pathologist will be responsible for the assessment of pathological specimens and assist in the development of assay protocols. Most of these protocols will involve human specimens from clinical trials and from research studies.
This is a research position, not a teaching position, and is not eligible for tenure. 100% effort Monday through Friday is required. Working in the evenings, weekends or holidays is not typically required, unless completion of a specific project or attendance of a conference mandates these timelines. This position is exempt status and is not eligible for overtime compensation.
Supervision Received - The Pathologist reports to the principal investigator and lab director,
Professor Fred R. Hirsch, MD, PhD. The daily activities are coordinated by the lab manager
Christopher Rivard, PhD.
Supervision Provided - The Pathologist participates in supervising other employees in the program, including Research (Oncologists) Fellows, Histotechnologists and Professional
Research Assistants as well as student workers and volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities
The position is a faculty research position; primary responsibilities are as an effective team member of an established lung cancer biomarker analysis laboratory. Specific duties for the Pathologist will include:
1. Working with the study director on the selection and verification of test methodologies;
2. Maintaining quality control programs appropriate for the testing performed, working in overall quality assurance applications;
3. Participating in CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvements Amendments) acceptable proficiency testing procedures;
4. Diagnosing and confirming proper pathologic / histologic diagnosis of biopsies and other tumor samples;
5. Specimen assessment and scoring of stained material for H&E, immunohistochemistry (protein), silver in situ hybridization (gene amplification), brightfield mRNA in situ hybridization (mRNA ISH), and proximity ligation assays (PLA);
6. Assisting in protocol development of new antibodies and new probes;
7. Participating in research studies involving the scoring and analysis of samples in tissue microarrays, whole sections and cell lines;
8. Preparing and maintain regulatory documentation determined by study requirements, state and federal laws;
9. Participating in internal and external audits and regulatory trainings;
10. Preparation of manuscripts for publication to scientific journals and presentation to local, national and international meetings;
11. Participation in team research meetings, case conferences, team meetings and weekly individual supervision meetings;
12. Participating in grant and proposal writing, with progression into writing their own grants;
13. Performing willingly other related lab research duties and procedures, including special research projects as directed.
Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/careers, refer to job posting 03191
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The minimum qualifications for the Pathologist position:
Education: Medical doctorate degree (MD or DO), but board certification in the United States is not required.
The successful candidate will be expected to perform assigned research in a collaborative manner with the existing research team. Successful research experience working with
Cancer Biology or related field. Must be self-motivated, able to work with moderate supervision, and able to implement and troubleshoot new protocols. Performs other related duties and procedures, including special projects, as directed.
The final candidate selected should have good communication skills and computer skills, be flexible, and be able to motivate collaborative partners; should possess the ability to work independently and effectively to develop new techniques; demonstrated detail-oriented planning and management skills in research laboratory projects. Prefer 1+plus year's experience in cancer related research including immunohistochemistry and antibody protocol development.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Required Application Materials: 1) A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2) A current CV/resume 3) The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20214 - SOM-MED-Oncology
Posting Date: Jan 12, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Everlyn Sandoval
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00636467