University of Colorado
Anschutz Medical Campus
Colorado School of Public Health
Department of Biostatistics and Informatics
Assistant Professor, Tenure-Track
Nature of Work:
The Department of Biostatistics and Informatics has an opening for a full-time informatician Assistant Professor in the tenure track.
The position resides in the Department of Biostatistics and Informatics of the Colorado School of Public Health. The Department currently includes over 30 full-time faculty members and approximately 55 MS and PhD students. Their methodological research includes clinical trials, statistical genetics, bioinformatics, imaging, correlated data, observational study design and analysis. Faculty members are involved in collaborative studies in a wide range of applications across the university and with affiliated institutions. The Department collaborates on informatics-related activities such as Health Data Compass (http://bit.ly/2dE79RS) and the mHealth Impact Lab (http://mhealthimpact.ucdenver.edu). Interested candidates will have the opportunity to collaborate and interact with other informaticians throughout the campus.
The emphasis of this position is on informatics research, teaching informatics methods, and in research collaboration on the informatics-related aspects associated with biomedical studies. Examples include but are not limited to: design implementation and evaluation, data integration, analytics and visualization of population-level data, real-time surveillance systems, local/regional/national data sharing networks for public health, geographical systems, disease information services, reproducible research, population health management, mobile health technologies, wireless/sensor networks, predictive modeling/machine-learning, scalable computing/data management systems and research databases and repositories.
The University of Colorado has proudly positioned itself as one of the top urban research universities in the country, serving more than 30,000 undergraduate, graduate and health professions students in Denver, Aurora and online and awarding more than 4,000 degrees each year. The renowned researchers and award-winning faculty of CU Denver CU Anschutz offer more than 100 degree programs through 13 colleges and schools. In 2013, the University was awarded more than $414 million in research grants and contracts. The new Anschutz Medical Campus includes over 5 million square feet of research, educational and clinical space on 227 acres.
The Colorado School of Public Health (ColoradoSPH) was established in 2008 as a collaborative school that builds on the collective strengths of the University of Colorado, Colorado State University, and the University of Northern Colorado. It is the only accredited school of public health in the Rocky Mountain region. In 2013, the (ColoradoSPH) ranked 11th in total research funding among state-supported schools of public health, and is home to CDC, HRSA, and NIOSH-funded research and training centers. The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a $4 billion state-of-the-art academic medical complex, including clinical, research, and teaching facilities that support the Schools of Public Health, Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Nursing, and the Graduate School.
The Assistant Professor position will have four major roles:
- Original research in informatics
- Teaching in the MS, PhD , and MPH programs in the Department and the Colorado School of Public Health
- Collaborating with researchers
- Participating in the supervision and mentorship of biostatistics and informatics graduate students.
Responsibilities for the faculty member include teaching, mentoring graduate students and developing a research portfolio. The research portfolio will involve both collaborative and methodological research. In collaboration with other investigators the successful candidate will be involved in preparation of grant applications and analysis and publication of data generated from funded studies. The position offers attractive career perspectives for talented and highly motivated individuals who have a strong interest in informatics and/or computational methods. The candidate is expected to have and/or develop an independent research career which must be highly collaborative and innovative with a focus on excellence.
The faculty member will be supervised by the Chair of the Department of Biostatistics and Informatics. The Chair of Biostatistics and Informatics and other faculty in DBI and other Schools, Departments, Institutes and Centers are available for mentorship and guidance.
This position can have supervisory responsibilities with early-career research instructors, PRAs, or graduate research assistants seeking PhD degrees.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of basic informatics principles relevant in medical research
- Strong programming skills in a common software package (such as SAS, R, S-Plus, Python, C, Java, C++, MATLAB and/or SPSS)
- Good organizational skills across individual projects, managing own work load
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Positive attitude and the ability to work with biomedical investigators and colleagues in the Department, the School, and more broadly with other units on the Anschutz Medical Campus
- Ability to contribute to the growth and development of the Department and the School
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Strong knowledge of computing and/or computer science foundations
- This position requires a doctoral degree in Informatics, Computer Science or a related field with experience in collaboration in the design and analysis of biomedical research studies.
- The person in this position must have excellent written and oral communication skills, and the ability to work independently with biomedical and public health investigators.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have expertise in informatics methods.
- Preference will also be given to candidates with demonstrated experience in consulting and teaching in a health care field and with work on Federal grants.
- Ideally, candidates will have some postdoctoral experience, and a record of collaborative publications.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary will be commensurate with experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Questions about the position can be addressed to: Susan Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will begin December 1, 2016 and continue until the position is filled.
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 7211
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact. Finalists may also be asked to submit publications as examples of their work.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21419 - CSPH-Bio Info General Ops
Posting Date: Oct 17, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Susan Moore
Posting Contact Email: Susan.L.Moore@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00639395
More jobs like this
- Community & Government Relations jobs in Health & Medical
- Community & Government Relations jobs in Medical Research
- Community & Government Relations jobs in Nursing
- Community & Government Relations jobs in Science & Technology
- Community & Government Relations jobs in Computer Science & Information Technology