Clinical Laboratory Technologist IV, Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (Tissue Typing) Laborato
Clinical Laboratory Technologist IV, Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (Tissue Typing) Laboratory (SL-1)-1701847
At Stony Brook Medicine, a Clinical Laboratory Technologist/ Technician is a valuable member of our team, who provides clinical services to our patient population. Will maintain specific knowledge of safe laboratory practice as endorsed by the New York State Department of Health and Occupational Safety and Health Administration and conducts oneself in a manner consistent with those practices to ensure the safety of all lab personnel.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate superior patient care and possess outstanding communication skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties of a Clinical Laboratory Technologist may include but are not limited to the following:
- Has line responsibility for the pre- analytical, analytical and post -analytical testing phases of histocompatibility testing procedures supporting the hospital's Renal and Hematopoietic Stem Cell/Bone Marrow transplant programs. Testing includes HLA typing by serological and molecular methods, HLA antibody screening and identification, donor-recipient crossmatch testing and Engraftment Monitoring. Will report any problems encountered during any of the testing phases to the attention of the lead technologist, lab supervisor and or lab director.
- Required to follow all quality control/assurance and safety protocols including reagent preparation, equipment maintenance, required documentation, and completion of annual laboratory recertification training.
- On-call responsibilities: May be required to support 24/7 coverage of lab services to organ transplant programs.
- Assists in the setting up of equipment and procedures, modifications and update of existing procedures and development of overall departmental procedure manuals.
- Assists in the development and implementation of a routine preventative maintenance program for equipment in the clinical laboratories.
- In accordance with NYS DOH Clinical Laboratory Standards of Practice, (HR S9): continuing education annually (pertaining to laboratory medicine).
- Undergoes specialized training on complex automated laboratory instrumentation covering theory of function, mechanics of operation and primary/secondary operational maintenance. Responsible for troubleshooting, maintenance schedule log, emergency repair, and instruction of fellow technologist in on-line operational procedures.
- Assist in teaching Clinical Laboratory Science students and others in both theory and technique by designing, implementing and evaluation teaching- learning experiences through informal and formal programs; presents periodic inter-laboratory in-service education programs, instructs house staff physicians, pathology residents and fellows, nursing staff and fellow technologist in current laboratory theory and technique. Serves as a preceptor of students, and as such, is responsible for laboratory work assignments and the monitoring of quality and accuracy of work performed.
- Maintains a general knowledge of safe laboratory practice, as endorsed by the New York State Department of Health and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and conducts oneself in a manner consistent with those practices to insure the safety of all laboratory personnel.
- Must review, understand and comply with all applicable NYS, DOH, ASHI, CAP, Joint Commission and HIPAA standards and regulations. Must assist in the implementation of such standards and ensure compliance with aforementioned standards and regulations.
- While hired for service on a particular shift, will flexibly participate in the overall function of the Department of Laboratories by assuming occasional substitution to other shifts or working prolonged shifts. Responsible for rotation and/or assignment to irregular shifts to include coverage of scheduled on-call, weekend, evening or holidays as assigned by the supervisor to ensure proper operation of the department for maintenance of patient care services.
- Directly interfaces with medical staff and other department supervisors.
- All other duties as assigned.
Current NYS license in the profession of Clinical Laboratory Technologist ( must hold current registration certificate).
Bachelor of Science degree in Clinical Laboratory Sciences/Clinical Medical Technology and 0-2 years of demonstrated relevant laboratory experience.
At least 1-2 years of full-time working experience in a CAP accredited laboratory performing Histocompatibility, Molecular or Blood Banking testing.
Special Notes: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
This function/position has been designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AThttp://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: TH Clinical Laboratory Technologist II/III/IV
Job Field: Laboratory
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (Tissue Typing) Laboratory-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Evening Shift 3:00 – 23:30 (initial training may occur on day shift)Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (Tissue Typing) Laboratory-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Jun 21, 2017
Posting End Date: Jul 21, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Salary Grade: SL1