Mechanical Equipment Specialist (Multiple)
Posting Date December 22, 2016
Position Title Mechanical Equipment Specialist (Multiple)
Vacancy # VC- 362
Department A.V.P. Facilities Maintenance and Engineering
Division University Facilities
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
Under the supervision of the Asst. Supervisor of Building Repairs or other supervisory official, performs work on heating, ventilating, air conditioning, and refrigeration systems and related electrical and pneumatic control systems. Demonstrates a working knowledge of pneumatic and electrical control systems, performs skilled labor installations, alterations, and calibrations, as well as repairing and maintaining HVAC control systems, building automation systems, and energy management control systems for the purpose of ensuring safe and comfortable environmental and ecological conditions. Provides first rate customer service to the university community. Must have the availability to work all shifts, including weekends and holidays.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains, repairs, and replaces air conditioning equipment of the centrifugal, reciprocating, absorption types and direct expansion systems including related electrical motors, steam turbines, and their respective controls, including calibration of equipment, gauges, and controls, handling of refrigerant, and refrigerant charging of systems.
- Maintains, repairs, and replaces hot water, condenser, and chilled water systems, including pumps, control valves, heat exchangers, cooling towers, and related controls.
- Maintains, repairs, and replaces heating, cooling, humidification, and filtering equipment and systems such as fans, heat pumps, fan coil units, rooftop package air conditioning units, solar panels, electronic and pneumatic modulating thermostats, pressure and volume controls.
- Maintains and repairs blowers, blower motors, fans and fan motors, belt drives, bearings, dampers, damper motors, compressors, checks and sets up thermostatic expansion valves; calibrates pneumatic and electrical thermostats.
- Responds to HVAC systems request for service by conducting tests of equipment to determine malfunctions or causes of breakdown. Removes and replaces faulty parts, subassemblies and major components; re-tests equipment with repaired components and makes required adjustments and corrections.
- Maintains, repairs, and replaces fume hood components.
- Installs and assists in the repair of sheet metal ducts and registers, insulation, cover piping, sheet metal ducts and fittings, or other compositions.
- Maintains, repairs, and replaces residential boilers used for heating and cooling of air and their combustion and control systems. Performs daily rounds on all the boiler rooms, records temperature and utility meter readings and inspects functions and operation of all the mechanical systems. Takes corrective action promptly on deficiencies noted.
- Maintains, repairs, and replaces equipment related to heating and cooling, such as air compressors, air dryers, and associated controls.
- Fabricates tubing or piping for pneumatic control systems.
- Operates energy management or building automation systems that control heating and cooling systems.
- Responds to HVAC systems complaints; performs troubleshooting of systems by reading and interpreting control logic diagrams, wiring schematics, and written instructions.
- Maintains and repairs, installs and operates all Direct Digital Control systems as related to the HVAC equipment.
- Installs, alters, maintains, and repairs pneumatic control systems and components of electrical/electronic control systems.
- Calibrates all environment temperature, pressure, and humidity controls. Checks, adjusts, and recalibrates all environmental controls as part of the preventive maintenance program.
- Repairs and maintains machinery and mechanical equipment in accordance with diagrams, sketches, operating manuals, manufacturers' specifications or supervisor's instructions. Responsible for complete maintenance of area of assignment.
- Ensures all work is performed within standards consistent with applicable law and codes.
- Assists in setting up Preventive Maintenance schedules and data cards. Prepares inventory of equipment and attaches labels to record relevant data.
- Obtains, stores, records, safeguards, and properly uses equipment, materials and supplies.
- Maintains records of time spent, materials used, and work completed.
- Uses work orders and fills in all pertinent information.
- Follows all safety procedures including wearing uniform and appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE.)
- Will be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and computerized management information systems used by the Facilities Maintenance and Engineering.
- Attends training sessions, i.e. safety meetings, procedural meetings, professional/ technical training and refresher courses.
- Able to work effectively with co-workers, customers and others by sharing ideas in a constructive and positive manner; listening to and objectively considering ideas and suggestions from others; keeping commitments; keeping others informed of work progress, timetables and issues; addressing problems and issues constructively to find mutually acceptable and practical solutions; and respecting the diversity of our work force in actions, works and deeds.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
Education:High School Diploma or GED certificate is preferred.
Experience:Three years of professional experience in work involving the installation, inspection, repair, maintenance, and
operation of heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration systems.
Licenses:Appointees will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of the
vehicle rather than employee mobility is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
Candidates must have completed HVAC or Refrigeration trade school requirements. EPA Universal Refrigeration Technician
Certification is required. Specialized training of a type normally received as a technician's position for Pneumatic and DDC controls vendor.
Knowledge and Abilities: Must have working knowledge of computerized building automation systems. Must have ability to use hand tools and testing and measuring devices. Ability to read and interpret blueprints, schematic drawings, charts, and technical instructions. Ability to prepare reports and present facts clearly, both orally and in writing. Ability to work in confined spaces and to work from ladders or elevated platforms. Knowledge of: personal computer operation; electrical safety, building codes, and Internal Air Quality (IAQ) Guidelines. Good knowledge of: Basic Refrigeration Cycle, Refrigeration Systems and Components, Water Source Heat Pumps, Absorption Chillers, Psychometry, Variable Air Volume Systems, Centrifugal Water Chillers, Refrigerant System Piping, Air Conditioning Fans, A/C Systems, Humidification and Heating Technologies , Automatic Control Systems.Ability to analyze/trouble shoot problems is required. Ability to work with diverse populations and in a team is a must. Ability to read, speak and understand English sufficiently to perform duties of this position. Ability to understand and follow safety procedures. Ability to work flexible shifts.
C18: $44,556.18 - $62,835.00
*NOTE: Salaries for internal candidates are determined by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission's formula. Salaries for external candidates are determined up to step four $50,649.54
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Create profile with resume and cover letter as one (1) attachment and submit to:
Apply By Open until filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION