Posting Date February 22, 2017
Position Title Plumber/Steamfitter
Vacancy # VC- 368
Department A.V.P. Facilities Maintenance and Engineering
Division University Facilities
Under the supervision of the Crew Supervisor for Plumbing Steamfitting, performs general plumbing and steam fitting work involved in the installation, maintenance, and repair of plumbing systems, high pressure steam pipes and fittings, related steam operated equipment, condensate pumps, boilers, steam heat auxiliary equipment, including both supply and drain piping and related fixtures, and related control and metering equipment.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Inspects, installs, repairs and maintains water, gas, waste and high pressure steam/condensate lines and systems. Replaces defective pipe by cutting, threading and assembling pipe.
- Maintains, repairs, and replaces water systems made from metal or plastic, including piping and related supports, fixtures such as faucets and toilets, fittings, pumps, hot water tanks, valves, meters, backflow preventers, controls (e.g., regulators), and related equipment such as drinking fountains, hot water heaters, heat exchangers, softeners, de-mineralizes, distillers, booster pumps, and safety showers.
- Maintains, repairs, and replaces sewage and storm water systems made from metal or plastic, including piping, vents, and required supports, for liquids such as sewage, storm runoff, acids, solvents, and other lab wastes; and including such equipment as dilution basins, grease traps, neutralization tanks.
- Maintains, repairs, and replaces sprinkler systems, including piping and related supports, sprinkler heads, control valves, pumps, and fixtures.
- Maintains, repairs, and replaces gas systems that supply laboratories, equipment, and shops, including vacuum, compressed air, natural gas, propane, and carbon dioxide, along with associated piping, fittings, valves, controls, and pumps.
- Maintains, repairs, and replaces low and high pressure steam systems including boilers, valves, control valves, piping, condensate pumps, fittings, heat exchangers, controls, traps, meters, and other associated components.
- Repairs of replaces plumbing fixtures such as sinks, toilets, showers, bathtubs, and/or connects them to outlet and inlet pipes by fitting gaskets, couplings, traps and valves and soldering connections to seal joints where necessary.
- Repairs and replaces piping in non-portable water systems such as condenser and chilled water systems, as required to support HVAC/controls mechanic.
- Performs routine PM inspections and tests on plumbing, steam, waste and steam components and replaces worn parts. Takes monthly meter reads of facility water and steam meters.
- Makes emergency plumbing, steam and waste repairs, trouble shoots malfunctions and breakdowns, performs work as per the terms and conditions the University's Annual Permits issued by the Department of Community Affairs.
- Is familiar with the nomenclature, use and installation of reducing pressure, surge, check, float, gate, globe and controlled vales, unions, sleeves, bushings, reducers, steam traps and other fittings and valves.
- Works with cast iron, ductile iron, copper, PVC and glass piping. Transports materials, tools, equipment to the work site and installs and/or repairs piping system.
- Performs minor installation or modification work on liquid, gas, and steam piping systems, including planning the work, estimating and arranging the materials, supplies, and equipment required, and coordinating with others.
- Inspects work site for planned work's impact on associated trades and professionals and consults with others to ensure safety and to prevent equipment outages.
- Keeps interruptions to a minimum and leaves the worksite neat and orderly.
- Follows all safety guidelines and takes all safety precautions.
- Performs related duties as assigned
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
Education: High School Diploma or GED certificate is preferred.
Experience:Three years of experience in plumbing and steam fitting work involving a variety of layout, installation and maintenance is a must.
Licenses: Appointees will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of the vehicle rather than employee mobility is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
Working Conditions:Lifts, carries, pushes and pulls material and equipment including fittings, pipes and tools. Climbs on ladders, stoops, kneels, crouches and crawls to inspect and repair pipes in ceilings and between walls. Stands on and in wet areas to clean clogged lines, leaking lines and fixtures. Subject to odors and gases when working with clogged fixtures or pipelines. Subject to work in steam pits, confined spaces, tunnels, chases, and from ladders.
Knowledge And Abilities: Working knowledge of the NJ Plumbing code and work practices involved in the plumbing profession is required. Knowledge of the problems involved in plumbing and steam fitting work is a must. Ability to read and interpret plans and specifications is preferred. Ability to make hydraulic calculations required in sizing and laying out piping systems. Ability to prepare comprehensive reports and to present facts clearly, both orally and in writing. Ability to analyze/trouble shoot problems involving plumbing installation, inspection, maintenance, and repair work is mandatory. Ability to work with diverse populations and in a team is a must. Ability to read, speak and understand English sufficiently to perform duties of this position. Ability to understand and follow safety procedures. Ability to work flexible shifts.
C16: $40.776.33 - $57.366.03
*NOTE: Salaries for internal candidates are determined by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission's formula. Salaries for external candidates are determined up to the fourth step of $46,306.23
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Create profile with resume and cover letter as one (1) attachment and submit to:
Apply By Open until Filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION