Special Assistant to the President for Communications and Research
Requisition # 2017-7694
Category Communications and Public Relations
Date Posted 6/21/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
Princeton University seeks a skilled, creative, hard-working individual to undertake, manage, and support a broad range of projects on behalf of the Office of the President. The special assistant to the president for communications and research will work directly with the president of the University, assisting with the preparation of speeches, reports, presentations, videos, statements, articles, correspondence, and other materials. The special assistant may also work closely with the president and assistant vice president on special projects.
This role is ideally suited to a pro-active and energetic individual with interests and talents in writing, editing, strategic communications, project management, and higher education administration.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Assist the president in preparing addresses, introductions, letters, and other written material at the highest level of quality -- a process that includes research, rigorous fact-checking, writing, editing and consultation with a wide range of offices and individuals both inside and outside the University.
* Manage deadlines and project flow for presidential communications, including setting internal deadlines as necessary, to ensure appropriate time is allocated for writing, editing and review in advance of publication/distribution. Work closely with colleagues in the Office of the President to see written projects through to completion.
* Advise and assist the president in planning and drafting the President's Pages in the Princeton Alumni Weekly and manage the publication process.
* Conduct research or assemble material for the president and assistant vice president in connection with speaking engagements, events, strategic initiatives, or other activities.
* In partnership with colleagues in the Office of the President and across the University, develop communications that appropriately engage and respond to numerous audiences and a variety of stakeholders with diverse perspectives.
* Provide high-level support to colleagues and offices across campus to help prepare and/or review written material relating to the president, e.g., letters, draft remarks, or presidential quotes.
* Collaborate productively and effectively with communications professionals and other parties inside and outside the University related to the president's written or spoken words, photos and videos, social media, and events.
* Manage the website for the Office of the President, including posting content of speeches, President's Pages and statements, and updating links to relevant news stories.
* Coordinate video shoots for the president, including managing all logistics and preparing talking points or other materials as needed.
* Represent the president's office at meetings involving University communications, as needed.
* Attend on-campus events where the president is speaking, providing staffing support as needed.
* Work discreetly on sensitive or delicate assignments, exercise sound editorial judgment and maintain the trust and confidence of the president and other senior administrators and their staffs.
* Ensure the accuracy of all facts and details in speeches, statements and quotes issued on behalf of the president.
* Superb writing capabilities, including an ability to write quickly, persuasively, clearly and in the president's style on a wide variety of subjects related to the University and higher education, at times on tight or unexpected deadlines
* Demonstrated aptitude for understanding complex issues and the ability to translate and simplify them for key audiences
* Ability and willingness to meet the president's expectations for written style and content and to accept and respond to revisions and advice rapidly and effectively
* High level of integrity, trustworthiness, and respect
* Flexibility and adaptability, including a willingness to undertake both mundane and high-profile tasks with enthusiasm and energy
* Strong research skills and a demonstrated ability to attend carefully to both grammatical and factual details
* Ability to take initiative and work independently
* Exceptional organizational skills and proven ability to keep track of and meet numerous deadlines; ability to handle multiple tasks in a timely manner and effectively re-prioritize responsibilities
* High level of discretion and excellent judgment; ability to work with and manage confidential information
* Experience at, or extensive familiarity with, Princeton University or another institution of higher education strongly preferred
* Experience as a successful writer, in a journalistic, speechwriting, academic, or other context
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.