Institutional Repository Librarian
The UTRGV Library is hiring! We’ll be filling several important positions come Fall 2017. Join us in building a library for the 21st Century. The Rio Grande Valley has a rich cultural heritage, low cost of living, and blossoms with new opportunities. If you’re a librarian with a passion for education, creative ideas, and a willingness to relocate, UTRGV is the place for you!
Scope of Job
Develops, implements, and maintains an institutional repository (IR) for the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. Leads the Library’s efforts to promote the IR as an integrated tool in scholarly communication and research throughout the university.
Description of Duties
• Manages the daily operations of the IR, including adding and editing content, as well as training librarians and staff on use and workflows.
• Creates and updates IR policies, procedures, and other necessary documentation in consultation with colleagues within the University Library.
• Serves as primary liaison to the Texas Digital Library, of which the UTRGV Library maintains membership.
• Works with the Metadata Librarian and Head of Special Collections and Archives to develop appropriate workflows and schema for ingesting and maintaining data and digital materials.
• Serves as a library resource on copyright, fair use, and open access issues.
• Consults with faculty and researchers throughout UTRGV to promote the retention and accessibility of research output.
• Promotes the IR to the campus community and solicits content from university stakeholders.
• Ensures that IR materials are discoverable via the web and the UTRGV Library website.
• Provides research assistance at library service points, online, and in individual consultation sessions.
• Works cooperatively with other library departments and supervisors on all campuses.
• Serves on library committees and standing university committees as required.
• Participates in continuing education and professional development opportunities (e.g. conferences, workshops, webinars, etc.) as needed to maintain required skills.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
May supervise assigned staff.
Master’s degree in Library Science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited library school.
Additional Master’s degree or PhD.
Three (3) years of experience working in an academic library environment. Knowledge of and experience with an institutional repository. Working knowledge of scholarly communication, copyright issues, open access, data sets, and rights management. Experience consulting with faculty, administrators, and students on research or scholarly topics.
Experience with digital preservation and metadata standards such as Qualified Dublin Core and MODS, controlled vocabularies, like Library of Congress Subject Headings, and descriptive standards like RDA or AACR2.)
Use of standard office equipment. Knowledge of digital asset management software such as ContentDM, Bepress, DSpace, etc.
Preferred: Familiarity with Bookeye3 or similar scanner. Familiarity with OpenRefine, MarcEdit, File Renamer, Oxygen, or similar programs used in workflows.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg control requires exertion of forces greater than that of sedentary work and if the worker sits most of the time, the job is considered light work.
Successful organization, communication and interpersonal skills; detail oriented; strong service orientation and commitment to profession.
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.