Financial Aid Counselor
The Financial Aid Counselor provides a wealth of financial aid knowledge to students and families for federal, state, and institutional programs in accordance with all applicable rules and regulations. The person in this position is responsible for providing superb customer service. The Financial Aid Counselor position reports to the Director of Financial aid and will have a high level of contact with students and families as well as being responsible for file review, awarding/processing, and participating in recruitment activities.
· Counsel students and parents on the financial aid application process.
· Advise students and parents on eligibility requirements for federal, state, and institutional aid.
· Ensure compliance with all financial aid policies, procedures, and regulations.
· Adhere to a superior level of customer service.
· Process verification materials with accuracy.
· Monitor and track financial aid files and paperwork.
· Work closely with members of the College’s administration, staff and faculty to ensure College goals are being met.
· Support all day to day operations of the Financial Aid Office.
· Use the institution’s multiple computer software systems to ensure an easy flow of data.
· Represent the College at special events such as high school college nights, orientations, financial aid workshops, and on campus programs.
· Assist with projects as needed.
· One year experience working in Financial Aid and knowledge of federal and state financial regulation is strongly preferred.
· Must be able to read, understand, apply, and explain federal and institutional policies and regulations as well as apply professional judgement when appropriate.
· Must possess excellent interpersonal skills, and demonstrate a commitment to developing connections with and providing superb customer service to the W&J community.
· Must be able to manage multiple tasks and work in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment.
· Experience with Ellucian's Colleague is preferred.
· Bachelor's Degree is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a colleague to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the colleague is required to sit for long periods at a time; type using a computer keyboard; visually read information off of a computer monitor; talk, hear, and orally communicate information over the telephone. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and color vision and the ability to adjust focus. There is some lifting involved.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee could be exposed to outdoor weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment may vary from light to moderate depending on the location.
Desire to work in a student-centered and team-oriented creative environment.
Willingness to travel
Available for work on weekends and evenings as needed
CRITERIA FOR PERFORMANCE EVALUATION:
Performance evaluation will be based on the abilities in meeting the criteria outlined herein.
POSITION REPORTS TO:
Director of Financial Aid
JOB DESCRIPTION STATUS:
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Washington & Jefferson College reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do no constitute or represent a contract.