Biological Scientist II
Biological Scientist IIJob Description:
We are looking for applicants with experience in experimental rodent manipulation, including survival surgeries, to fill a biological scientist role with the Center for Translational Research in Neurodegenerative Disease. The scientist will also assist in the management of a small-sized rodent colony for the principal investigator.
Representative duties include:
- Maintain mouse colony including genotyping from tail snips using PCR techniques
- Perform surgery on rodents for experimental purposes, including pre-operative, intraoperative, and post-operative procedures
- Perform cell biology experiments, including mammalian tissue culture and primary cell culture
- Perform basic molecular biology experiments, including cloning
- Perform multicolor flow cytometry
- Perform calculations and maintain appropriate log books and lab notebooks; Will require use of Excel and GraphPad Prism for data analysis and Adobe Photoshop and PowerPoint for preparing final images, followed by effective communication to lab members
- Instruct undergraduate students and lab personnel in laboratory methods and troubleshooting
- Maintain lab equipment and supplies; Clean and perform routine maintenance on lab equipment; Report equipment problems/outages and supply inventory shortages to supervisor/PI
Doctoral degree in biology or a closely related field; or a master's degree in biology or a closely related field and one year of relevant experience; or a bachelor's degree in biology or a closely related field and three years of relevant experience.Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in experimental rodent manipulation, including survival surgeries
- Experience in management of rodent colony
- Experience in basic molecular biology skills, such as DNA purification, cloning
- Experience with online tools for DNA analysis
- Experience in flow sorting
- Knowledge of cell culture techniques
- Ability to evaluate, interpret, and review laboratory results and prepare reports
- Experience in troubleshooting and general lab maintenance
Please attach full CV and list of references.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (EDT) of the posting end date.
This requisition has been reposted. Previous applicants do not need to reapply.Health Assessment Required: Yes