Student Life International Student Manager
LaGuardia Community College, located in Long Island City, Queens, educates more than 50,000 New Yorkers annually through degree, certificate, and continuing education programs. Our guiding principle Dare To Do More reflects our belief in the transformative power of education—not just for individuals, but for our community and our country—creating pathways for achievement and safeguarding the middle class. LaGuardia is a national voice on behalf of community colleges, where half of all US college students study. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), the College reflects the legacy of our namesake, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, the former NYC mayor beloved for his championing the underserved. Since our doors opened in 1971, our programs regularly become national models for pushing boundaries to give people of all backgrounds access to a high quality, affordable college education. We invite you to join us in imagining what our students, our community, and our country can become. Visit www.LaGuardia.edu to learn more.
Reporting to the Associate Dean for Progress and Completion, the Student Life International Student Manager will serve as the Designated School Official (DSO) for the F-1 program and as the Responsible Officer for the extensive web-based monitoring of J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. In addition to the duties in the CUNY Title Overview, the successful candidate will manage office operations, supervise student service advisors and administrative support staff, as well as perform the following responsibilities:
- Develop strategy and planning for on-going SEVIS implementation and management;
- Ensure institutional compliance with Department of Homeland Security and Department of State immigration regulations for F and J non-immigrant status;
- Monitor and implement regulatory changes and compliance that impact reporting and procedural aspects of the Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS);
- Comply with SEVIS event-based and periodic data reporting obligations within applicable regulatory deadlines;
- Support international students on immigration regulations, compliance, requirements and benefits;
- Provide resources and referrals for academic issues, personal and cultural adjustments;
- Collect, manage and quantify pertinent institutional research data;
- Assist students and departments to facilitate institutional compliance with federal regulations of the Department of Homeland Security and Department of State;
- Guide non-immigrant students in maintaining legal immigration status in the U.S. by recommending and support the filing of all necessary applications to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services in a timely manner;
- Oversee records and databases for record-keeping and case management purposes;
- Recommend and implement software and other technological products for better record-keeping;
- Manage the development and facilitation of informational modules for enhanced delivery of services, training and orientation programs for international students;
- Manage Recruitment Events for new and international students;
- Prepare monthly reports about international student and recruitment activities.
Bachelor's degree and six years' related experience required.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Experience working with a SEVIS (Students & Exchange Visitor Information System) DSOs (Designated School Officials) in an office which has an international recruitment focus.
- Strong computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office, knowledge of internet and database tools and technology along with the ability to conduct complex inquiries are required.
- Experience working with students and/or scholars from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Knowledge of F-1 and J-1 immigration regulations required.
- Excellent written and oral skills in the English language are necessary.
- Understanding of the Department of Homeland Security requirements.
- Must meet minimum qualifications for Designated School Official, per Department of Homeland Security guidelines.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Manage and coordinate services to support the success of international students.
- Creates goals and objectives that reflect Campus objectives, and evaluates performance and success
- Supervises staff and develops office policy to ensure efficient service delivery
- Drafts, recommends and implements policies and procedures on a variety of international student issues, such as admissions, health insurance, resident tuition, and English proficiency for international students
- Collaborating with student affairs colleagues, provides leadership in the development of international and diversity student activities and programs; serves as an advisor/mentor to international student organizations.
- Produces and presents relevant communications to international students, such as a handbook and orientation programs
- Oversees required activities in matters pertaining to government agencies and compliance, such as the US Department of Justice, the US Department of State, and the Internal Revenue Service
- Maintains relationships with College community, faculty and staff to provide additional support and to inform students of resources available to them.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Student Life International Student Manager
Higher Education Associate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications should be submitted on-line as follows:
- Log in to CUNY Portal at www.cuny.edu
- Navigate to "Employment" located on the front page.
- Select "Search Job Postings"
- Search by job Opening ID number or Job Title.
- Locate the search and click on the "Apply Now" button.
Current users of the site should access their established accounts; new users should click on the appropriate link to register. Please attach a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three professional references as one document in rtf, doc, or pdf format.
CLOSING DATE7/02/2017 (Extended)
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: LaGuardia Community College
Job Title: Student Life International Student Manager
Job ID: 16753
Full/Part Time: Full-Time