Performing Arts Technical Manager (Kaye Playhouse)
The Kaye Playhouse at Hunter College on Manhattan's Upper East Side is a fully-equipped proscenium-style rental theater which brings an eclectic mix of live performances to over 100,000 theatergoers annually.
Reporting directly to the Director of Continuing Education, the successful candidate will be responsible for the production and technical aspects of the day-to-day operations of a 624-seat theater. Responsibilities are as follows:
- Manages activities for more than 200 booked days in the theater and adjacent space.
- Responsible for the recruitment cycle of all stagehand personnel.
- Develops production budget and schedules related to activities for each event including set and lighting designs, including load-ins and load-outs.
- Create schedules which are mandated within the IATSE agreement.
- Oversees payroll and timesheet management of work-week.
- Oversees all production aspects of College sponsored events, including fundraising, academic and performing arts related.
- Works with Performing Arts Manager and Public Safety in devising security plans for theater events.
- Plans and oversees all capital improvement and maintenance for the Playhouse
- Plans and oversees all safety training for stagehands.
- Develops capital equipment requests and works closely with College Procurement office in acquisition of capital equipment
- Participates in labor contract negotiations with IATSE (stage labor union)
- Supervises 2 full-time and 20+ part-time stagehands and technical personnel.
Bachelor's degree and six years' related experience required.
- Leadership; team building; judgment; ability to listen; multi-tasking; and attention to detail.
- Ability to read and interpret scenic drawings, light plots, technical equipment inventories.
- Experience interacting and working with high-level contacts, including high level college administration, political figures and artists.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (both in person and on the phone).
- Strong work ethic. Flexible schedule may require night and weekend work hours.
- Computer skills, with experience working with Microsoft Excel.
- A passionate commitment to theater and the mission of the college.
- A minimum of six years professional experience.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Oversees technical management of a performing arts facility and its productions.
- Provides input center planning, scheduling, and goal-setting
- Manages center equipment and inventory, evaluating ,selecting and implementing system upgrades and new equipment
- Provides technical information and support for all events
- Assists outside technical personnel in scheduling and managing production activities
- Prepares and maintains accurate drafting and technical information for center facilities
- Collaborates with College administration on facilities management and maintenance
- Hires, trains, and manages Center technical staff
- Assures compliance with appropriate regulations regarding safety and building characteristics
- Consults with academic departments and programs on production technical requirements
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Performing Arts Technical Manager
Higher Education Associate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume and scholarly interest or cover letter with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters. Incomplete application packages will not be considered.
Open until filled with review of applications to begin July 5, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Hunter College
Job Title: Performing Arts Technical Manager (Kaye Playhouse)
Job ID: 16811
Full/Part Time: Full-Time