Tech Support Specialist II, ITSC
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The Division of Information Technology (it.gwu.edu) is the chief provider of technology infrastructure, services and applications at GW. The Division partners with stakeholders across GW to equip students, staff and faculty with the technology know-how and tools necessary to achieve academic excellence. Reporting to the Manager of IT Service Delivery, the Tech Support Specialist II for the Information Technology Support Center (ITSC) works within the Division's Service and Contract Management department.
The Tech Support Specialist II for the ITSC is responsible for the following duties:
- Provides first level incident management and routine systems support services at the centralized Support Center. Supports clients via telephone, e-mail, message board, instant message, and remote desktop management in their utilization of various systems applications, University ERPs, and provides support for commercial off the shelf systems and applications. Gathers technical data from clients in order to diagnose issues and provide data for root cause analysis. Uses designated Incident Management Systems as a work management and tracking tool.
- Supports end user's request for batch processing parameter changes and monitors production of automated processes for successful completion. Monitors and reports status in Data Center facilities and on physical and virtual servers and reacts effectively to any alarms or system warnings. Communicates to the appropriate Tier 2 teams and to management.
- Assists in the maintenance of configuration data on the network, network elements, computing systems and storage devices within the appropriate database of record.
- Assists in vendor management by maintaining an up-to-date list of facilities vendors and their primary and secondary contact information. Responsible for maintaining a data source of vendor contact information and escalation protocols and keeping it accurate and up-to-date, and performing exception reporting against the data.
- Creates and disseminates operational documentation, staff training materials, and GW-specific application user documentation after obtaining management approval. Provides or coordinates basic training/instruction for NOC duties into the support center. Trains peers and customers on new processes and technologies.
- Identifies trends in client interactions by location and type in order to quickly recognize problems and communicate to the appropriate Tier 2 teams and management.
- Represents the department in interdepartmental or divisional meetings and projects. Contributes ideas and expertise from the technical and customer service perspective in divisional meetings and projects.
- Provides mentoring to other ITSC team members by providing positive and constructive feedback, and sharing knowledge and solutions.
- Assists with the generation and reporting of standard departmental operating metrics. Assists supervisor in ad hoc reporting on quality measurements and performance tracking responsibilities.
- Coordinates with Change Management to ensure planned changes are posted on the Customer Support Center website and communicated to the impacted community according to established Division of IT procedures.
- Coordinates with Support Center Supervisors to ensure emergency outages are communicated to the University community via posting to the Customer Support Center website and communicated to the impacted community according to established Division of IT procedures.
The position is based at GW's Virginia Science & Technology campus in Ashburn, VA but may require travel to/between it and the University's Foggy Bottom Campus in Washington, DC. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in a customer service oriented position
- Strong oral and written communications, organizational, interpersonal skills and customer service skills
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Previous Support Center and/or Network Operations Center, experience
- Systems support and maintenance experience, to include PC, and/or data/voice information network systems experience
- Some experience performing work and maintaining network devices, power management systems, and Windows Operating system
- Experience using incident management systems
- Experience with systems support and maintenance including PC, LAN, and/or data/voice information network systems
- Ability to be a self-starter, who can interact effectively, build relationships with functional and technical partners at all levels within the organization, and demonstrates exceptional communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to mentor and assist team members
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Ashburn College/School/Department: Division of IT Family Information Technology Sub-Family Tech Support/Service Delivery Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 1 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 1pm to 10pm Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S006419 Job Open Date: 06/20/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your salary range expectation?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Does the professional experience section of your resume include months?
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter