STAFF VETERINARIAN-LEMUR CENTER
STAFF VETERINARIAN-LEMUR CENTER
Staff Veterinarian JOB RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to: Supervising veterinarian Supervises: Assists in supervision of vet technicians and students/interns Collaborates with: DLC Senior Managers Duke Attending Veterinarian DLC Animal Welfare Committee Duke Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
To help manage all aspects of health of the prosimians at the Duke Lemur Center
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Work with animal care staff and veterinary team to implement a preventive medicine program that includes quarantine, routine exams, disease monitoring, parasite control, vaccinations, tuberculin testing, dental prophylaxis, and nutrition.
• Diagnose illness and injury in collection animals and provide appropriate treatment and therapies.
• Collaborate with colleagues and local veterinary and medical specialists on clinical cases as needed.
• Participate in dialogue with the curator and animal technicians about animal care and welfare, nutrition, breeding, husbandry, and housing.
• Perform gross necropsies and collect samples for histopathology, prepare necropsy reports and analyze findings, formulate recommendations for preventive measures.
• Prepare and maintain required records, ensuring accuracy and professionalism.
• Support research efforts by collecting samples and by gathering and submitting data as appropriate.
• May conduct or participate in research projects into the husbandry, breeding, welfare, behavior, or conservation of both captive and wild populations of animals.
• Participate in maintaining standards and regulations of AZA, AAZV, USDA, OSHA, AAALAC and other regulatory agencies and associations as they apply to zoological institutions and veterinary programs/facilities.
• Participate on the Duke Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee to protect the welfare of the animals at Duke.
• Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations relating to animal care, transport, treatment, and the handling of controlled substances.
• Remain current on CEU requirements.
• Teach and mentor visiting veterinary students, technicians, and interns, as needed.
• Occasionally interact with guests, donors, and the media.
• Perform other duties as requested.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND SPECIFICATIONS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
• Knowledge of a wide range of veterinary medicine and the ability to perform diagnosis, treatment, nutrition analysis, and surgical procedures for the care of non-human primates
• Ability to analyze unknown problems and conditions related to the care and treatment of exotic and non-exotic animals; and determine the best course of treatment.
• Proven ability to research and develop innovative approaches for animal health and nutrition issues.
• Advanced management, technical or scientific skill related to the care of exotic animals.
• Must demonstrate initiative, imagination and creativity related to animal care.
• DVM or VMD or equivalent from an accredited School of Veterinary Medicine.
• License to practice veterinary medicine in the State of North Carolina within 3-months of hire date.
• USDA category II accreditation to certify health for interstate and international transport of animals.
• Must obtain a valid State of North Carolina driver's license.
• Preference will be given to candidates that are ACZM Board Certified or equivalent.
Experience and Skill Requirements
• Five or more years of veterinary experience with 3 years minimum of exotic animal medicine experience is required, preferably in a zoological facility. Internships and Residency programs included.
Job Skill Requirements
• Ability to stand for long periods of time
• Ability to walk several miles a day
• Lifting of heavy objects (up to 50 pounds) on a highly frequent basis and/or assuming awkward positions for long periods of time
• Ability to make coordinated gross motor movements in response to changing external stimuli within moderately demanding tolerances
• Ability to work weekends, holidays, and occasional after-hour assignments.
• Ability to make coordinated eye/hand movements on a patterned response space within low tolerance demands with no real speed requirements
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints.
1664 STAFF VETERINARIAN
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires completion of an accredited Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) program or a certificate of equivalent training accepted by the AVMA. Licensure to practice veterinary medicine in a state or territory of the United States is also required.
Three years of experience in laboratory animal medicine or completion of a training program in Laboratory Animal Medicine with eligibility for certification in this field may be substituted for the three year experience requirement noted above. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.