Commissary Expeditor Retail - Catering
Requisition # 2017-7682
Department Campus Dining
Category Food Services and Dining
Date Posted 6/20/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
Campus Dining is committed to the success of our students, faculty, staff, alumni, and visitors by nourishing them to be their healthy best while caring for the environment. If you are a chef by profession, love to mentor and teach, are a student at heart, and believe that community engagement happens around food, we'd love to hear from you! We welcome team members who share our passion for serving and caring for our community through exceptional dining experiences. In collaboration with our campus partners, we craft culinary programs that deliver unique memorable experiences. Campus Dining brings together expertise in culinary, wellness, sustainability, procurement and hospitality to develop innovative programs in support of our diverse community. Our award winning food program is based on scientific and evidence-based principles of healthy sustainable menus that are prepared by our culinary team with high-quality ingredients.
We invite you to be part of our dynamic culinary team, grow as an individual and make an impact in a place where people, quality and value mean everything.
Checks incoming foodstuffs and staples to ensure satisfactory delivery, stores goods in temperature-controlled areas to prevent decomposition, and physically delivers foodstuffs to various units within the Department of Dining Services. The position also requires packing, shipping, delivery and set up of events throughout the campus within strict deadlines and timetables. Pick-up, organization and storage of supplies and food from completed functions. Monitors operations for inventory and quality control and FIFO.
- Using function forms and equipment packing lists; prepares, packs and loads catering functions for delivery. Maintains appropriate paperwork as required.
- May load or unload merchandise from a variety of vehicles including catering and delivery trucks. Receives, unpacks and sorts incoming merchandise.
- Stores stock in proper storeroom at proper temperature, and maintains a constant rotation of stock through the FIFO (first-in/first-out) method.
- Pick-up, organizes, and store equipment and leftover food items from completed functions. Stores stock in proper storeroom at proper temperature, following department procedures. Return equipment to proper storage location.
- Maintain and regularly clean equipment and truck.
- Set-up catering functions as needed observing department standards for sanitation and presentation. Make deliveries of foodstuffs and supplies within strict deadlines while maintaining safe driving practices.
- Deliver excellent customer service while representing the Dining Services department .
- Assist with inventory and initiate purchase requisition for replacement of stock of all items whenever the stock level of any items reach minimum.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management, including coverage during weather emergencies.
- A High School Diploma, GED, or completion of the Excelling at Princeton program and one year relevant experience; or five years relevant experience preferably in a collegiate dining environment.
- Valid driver's license. Must have ability to drive trucks and vans. Expected to exercise safe driving practices at all times.
- Ability to read, write and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to handle valuable merchandise in a satisfactory manner.
- Ability to make sound independent judgments.
- Ability to comprehend and respond to inquiries from clients and staff.
- Flexibility with scheduling. Weekend work, late hours, extended hours, and work outside unit required.
- Must be able to organize tasks with ability to meet strict and multiple deadlines.
- Must be able to interpret specifications on purchase orders, invoices, function forms, and equipment sheets.
- Must have initiative and judgment in handling and issuing supplies.
- Must be familiar with principles of sanitation in storage and rotation of stock and supplies.
- Must be honest, accurate, and capable of making simple arithmetic calculations.
- Must be detail oriented with high degree of accuracy.
- Must display good customer service skills, including communication (oral and written).
- Must work cooperatively with others.
Essential Job Functions:
- Stand or walk up to 2 hours at one time for a total of 6-8 hours per day.
- Sit for less than 2 hours during an 8 hour day.
- Lift or carry up to 50 pounds frequently (34 - 64% of the workday).
- Lift or carry up to 100 pounds occasionally (less than 33 % of the workday).
- Push or pull using forces up to 75 pounds occasionally (less than 33% of the workday).
- Lift up to 50 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead and 75 pounds to waist high.
- Frequently use hands for simple grasping, fine manipulation, pushing, or pulling (34 - 66% of the workday).
- Kneel, climb stairs or ladders, or knee stand occasionally (less than 33% of the work day).
- Reach or lift overheard, bend, or squat frequently (33 - 66% of the workday).
- Work on loading docks under variety of environmental conditions, and under a variety of temperature conditions (e.g., kitchens, walk-in refrigerators and freezers, etc.).
- Show initiative and judgment in handling and issuing supplies.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
SEU-Service Employees Inter Union
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University requires some candidates to complete a physical capacity exam successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of physical capacity exam may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to our careers site.