Professional Research Asst
CIRES/PSD Hydrometeorology Modeling and Analyses PRA
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado in Boulder, Colorado and the NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory (ESRL) Physical Sciences Division (PSD) have an immediate opening for a Professional Research Assistant with a comprehensive understanding of precipitation physics, and experience in mesoscale numerical weather prediction. The Researcher will have an appointment within the ESRL Physical Sciences Division (PSD). The individual will work as part of an interdisciplinary team of scientists in PSD to conduct regional and CONUS scale hydrometeorology modeling and analyses leading to extreme precipitation and hydrologic events; to understand current operational forecast weaknesses and identify related research opportunities; and to design and perform numerical model experiments aimed toward improving scientific understanding and addressing operational forecast challenges.
• To set up, run, and analyze model experiments that target phenomena demonstrated to be key forecast challenges related to extreme precipitation events across various regions of the US.
• To serve as a liaison between NOAA PSD and key NOAA operational forecast groups such as NOAA NCEP/EMC and the National Weather Service.
• To provide forecast verification of numerical models run both within PSD and also at various operational centers, with a particular focus on precipitation assessment.
• To contribute to the experimental design of hydro-meteorological and hydro-climatological studies of extreme precipitation events, and to help coordinate these efforts with key operational partners.
• Collaborate with CIRES and ESRL scientists to synthesize analysis results into meaningful scientific conclusions
• To lead and contribute to the publication of research results in the peer-reviewed literature.
• Master's degree in meteorology with 3+ years of experience, or a closely related discipline
• Demonstrated experience with the application of mesoscale models, including the WRF model, and experience with high performance computing
• Ability to critically interpret model output, particularly with respect to physical process parameterization
• Demonstrated experience with standard meteorological observational and model data sets and their manipulation and analysis techniques
• Ability to manage and manipulate large and complex observational, reanalysis and model datasets
• Strong background in synoptic and mesoscale processes (particularly associated with extreme rain and flood events)
• Ability to work independently as well as effectively in a team environment, and to communicate effectively (verbal and written)
• Experience in publishing formal journal articles
Additional Desirable Skills
• Familiarity with operational forecast systems and forecast verification techniques including an understanding of NOAA's operational modeling enterprise and experience working with operational partners such as NCEP/EMC, the National Weather Service, and the National Water Center.
• Experience with ensemble modeling and/or data assimilation
• Experience with WRF-Hydro, WRF-Chem, stochastic physical parameterization methods and/or other extensions of WRF and associated modeling technologies.
• Demonstrated ability to conduct assessments of quantitative precipitation estimation (QPE) and quantitative precipitation forecasts (QPF) using observational data sets
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter; 2 - Resume; 3 - The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree; 4 - A Letter of Recommendation This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10080 - Coop Inst Res/Envrm Sci - Dir
Posting Date: Aug 19, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: karen dempsey
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00688546