Head, Division of Hospital Medicine
University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Center
School of Medicine - Department of Medicine
Division of Hospital Medicine Head
The Division Head of Hospital Medicine (HM) reports to the Chair of the Department of Medicine and is responsible for leading and managing all aspects of the Division.
The Division is committed to improving the quality, safety and efficiency of care provided to patients hospitalized at the University of Colorado Hospital (UCH), Denver Health (DH) and the Denver Veterans Affairs Hospital (VA), to teaching medical students, residents, fellows and advanced practice providers (APPs), and advancing scientific knowledge about the care of hospitalized patients.
This mission is carried out (currently) by 47 physicians and 17 APPs at UCH, 42 physicians and 9 APPs at DH and by 15 physicians at the VA who care for between 35-40% of all admissions to the three hospitals across numerous service lines (with two new hospitals being added in the immediate future).
Strategic Planning and Program Development
- Advance the Division's vision of being the best academic HM Division in the country.
- Translate this vision into short- and long-term goals, strategies and tactics and execute these tactics.
- Work effectively with internal and external stakeholders to ensure Division priorities are achieved.
- Develop mechanisms to assure continuous growth and advancement in clinical care, education and scholarly activity.
- Develop and maintain a Divisional organizational chart
- Manage the Divisional budget
- Establish recruitment goals, develop justifications and negotiate for necessary personnel.
- Recruit and retain the highest quality physicians and APPs at UCH
- Assist with recruiting and retaining the highest quality physicians and APPs at the affiliated hospitals
- Ensure timely hiring and effective orientation of new faculty members.
- Provide individual feedback and annual performance evaluations for all Division physicians.
- Assure all Division APPs receive individual feedback and annual performance evaluations
- Assure production of an Annual Report to the Chair of Medicine
- Assure that faculty, APPs and staff are continuously updated on Divisional priorities and metrics assessing productivity, quality and safety.
- Regularly attend Department of Medicine Leadership meetings and other functions
- Interact with the Internal Medicine Residency Training Program to assure effective functioning and continuous improvement in internal medicine residency training.
- Assure effective functioning and continuous improvement all aspects of the HM resident and APP training tracks
- Oversee the research and scholarly activities of the Division
- Provide mentorship for junior faculty
- Develop a HM study group to review research ideas, works in progress and training in research methodology
- Stimulate scholarly investigation of issues pertaining to hospital operations, quality, safety, productivity and provider and patient satisfaction
Represent the Division of HM in Interactions with External Stakeholders
- Develop and present unified plans and goals annually the Department of Medicine Chair.
- Represent the Division on committees and at meetings as necessary
Maintain Active Regional and National Presence
- Facilitate participation of HM physicians and APPs in regional and national activities.
- Cultivate a strong HM national presence.
- An MD degree from an accredited institution
- Board certification in Internal Medicine
- Eligible for faculty appointment at the University of Colorado School of Medicine as an Associate Professor or Professor of Medicine.
- Minimum of five years of years of experience leading, managing and mentoring direct reports.
- Experience managing complex organizational change.
- Excellent communication skills with a proven track record of relationship building.
- Competency in budget development and financial management.
- Experience in strategic planning and entrepreneurial program development.
- Proven ability to conceive, develop, implement and sustain clinical, educational and scholarly programs.
- Experience creating and maintaining a healthy, inter-professional workplace environment.
- Experience developing and utilizing productivity, quality and patient safety metrics.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Questions should be directed to Kelly Redard email@example.com.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 06139
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20209 - SOM-MED-GIM
Posting Date: Jul 28, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kelly Redard
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00726790