Art Technician II
College of Music-Gen - 134000
Is this an internal posting only?
Variable - 40hrs/week plus overtime
The University of North Texas' College of Music offers majors in composition, jazz studies, music history and literature, music theory, and performance. It also offers music teacher preparation leading to teacher certification in more than 40 states. The College of Music's facilities are located in seven buildings and include 300 practice rooms, eight performance hals and numerous classrooms and rehearsal halls. In addition, UNT's Willis Library includes one of the nation's most extensive music libraries. For more information to to www.music.unt.edu.
The College of Music Recording Services department produces over 600 concert recordings, 100 live video shoots, and 60 live streamed concerts a year of some of the best up and coming musicians in the world. Our recordings help musicians get jobs, while live streaming concerts allows parents, family and friends from all over the world participate. This small department of two full time staff and about 7 students makes a large impact. We are looking for a highly motivated audio and video recording engineer who can keep us looking and sounding great.
The College of Music at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Recording Engineer to join our team. We plan to hire starting September 1, 2017.
The semester routine will involve a varying weekly schedule to accommodate office tasks and event production work. Working hours increase during during the peak performance schedule and decrease during breaks. You will work both independently for many events and collaboratively with other staff on larger events.
This position will assist in Providing the following:
Live concert video is shot and mixed live with minimal post editing, with many events live streamed on the Internet, and others posted on Youtube. Quick decision making, and familiarity with large ensemble music is key to providing amazing musical broadcast experiences to the public.
Classical Audio Archive Recording:
Gracefully and accurately handling the large quantity of mostly stereo classical archival recordings of faculty, student and ensemble concerts using the installed systems.
Small jazz combo groups regularly perform in a space that requires a number of microphones be setup in a short amount of time, and still be high quality. It is both a challenging and rewarding environment working with extremely talented musicians in an active setting. Student musicians have the opportunity to sit down with you afterwards and review the mix.
Intended to be an affordable means for students to have access to high quality recording for self-promotion and competitions. Work performed here is efficient, customer-focused, and high quality.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* A natural curiosity for creatively solving challenges with gear.
* Work with faculty and student musicians to understand their needs and find the most practical way to meet these needs.
* Bring a cool and calm attitude to those working around you during the peak event season.
* Assist in building a skilled student worker team.
* Suggest new solutions and quickly adapt to changing technical hurdles.
* Be efficient and exacting in scheduling, quality control, archiving and asset organization.
* Classical and jazz audio recording.
* Video shoots of live events.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in related area and two years of professional related experience; or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and training.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Technical familiarity with electronic, electrical, and physical systems required in the operation of a multiple use performing arts facility.
* Understanding of networking.
* Understanding of basic HTML and CSS along with posting content on websites.
* Comfortable using web-based workflows for delivering recordings.
Computer audio hardware and software experience (primarily Mac OS X, some Windows).
* Ability to effectively train and successfully oversee work performance of student workers.
* Ability to maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff and public.
* Physical ability to perform set up work involving placement and lifting of equipment used for programs and events.
* Ability to lift 50 pounds.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application. Sample audio and video recordings are required. Preferred content is of classical and jazz music. Please post links within the resume to publicly accessible content online along with your involvement in the sample, how the recording was made, and if the content is live or studio recorded.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting