Senior Vice President of Medical Education and Research
The American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) was founded in 1898 to provide support and assistance to the nation's osteopathic medical schools, and to serve as a unifying voice for osteopathic medical education.
Having grown from a handful of college administrators a century ago, the organization today represents the administration, faculty and students of over 33 osteopathic medical schools operating at over 48 campuses across the United States. The Association, guided by its Board of Deans and various other member councils and committees, is committed to advancing all aspects of osteopathic medical education.
AACOM is seeking a Senior Vice President to lead our newly-created Medical Education and Research Department.
As a key member of the Senior Management Team, the SVP of Medical Education and Research is responsible for leading AACOM’s efforts to determine the current state and future development of medical education and the medical profession (osteopathic medicine) while asserting leadership in trends and innovations that will impact medical and health professions education. This includes the full continuum of medical education.
The SVP of Medical Education reports directly to the CEO and provides the overall medical education and research perspective throughout the organization. This is a highly visible position, both within AACOM and within the larger osteopathic and general medical and health professions communities, having the ability to make significant contributions and facilitate change. It is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to make a difference while developing positions and information that can improve medical education and have an impact on the health of the population.
The Senior Vice President directs AACOM’s Medical Education program activities, monitors developments affecting medical education and osteopathic medical education, evaluates the state of the art in administering educational programs that focus on developing the highest quality Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine and works closely with AACOM’s member educational institutions to improve existing programs and propose new ones as needed. This includes developing key alliances and contacts both within AACOM’s member community and with other relevant organizations as needed. The Senior Vice President participates in and promotes programs, such as the AACOM Medical Education Grant Program and the Medical Education Scholar in Residence Program. In addition, s/he manages relationships with institutions, such as the Inter-Professional Education Collaborative, Healthy People Curriculum Task Force, the American Medical Association’s Medical Education Initiatives, International Association of Medical Science Educators, National Academy of Medicine’s Osteopathic Fellowship, Association of Osteopathic Medical Librarians, and the Council of Student Government Presidents. The SVP also is responsible for integrating AACOM’s medical education and research functions, developing statistical research programs to assess and help evaluate trends, developments and the dynamics of the education and training of medical professionals and the efficacy of the delivery medical care and the medical care delivery establishment. This requires developing, analyzing and managing databases as well as related management and retrieval systems, providing insight and reports, support for medical education and the osteopathic approach to medical practice.
The SVP is responsible for maximizing the quality of outputs and products while identifying innovative and appropriate technology to maximize effectiveness. The research function conducts major national, special and ad hoc surveys in the medical education field, and is expected to engage in professional publication along these lines.
The Senior Vice President holds the direct responsibility for monitoring, analyzing and providing support for responding to and influencing federal and state government programs, guidelines and policies, often by working with other entities that study health and medical education. This role is also responsible for developing, negotiating, and managing various data sharing agreements to support the performance of descriptive and analytic statistical analysis.
This position requires at least 20% to 30% travel usually within the United States but on occasion, internationally.
The ideal candidate will have exceptionally strong management and people skills and the ability to build a high-performance, service-based team. This candidate will possess a passion for improving higher education, as it relates to medical education, coupled with a broad-based background, understanding of the higher education environment.
- Ph.D., D.O., M.D., or equivalent advanced degree. Exceptional candidates with equivalent levels of experience may be considered.
- At least 15 years’ experience, including at least 10 years at the Vice President, Associate dean, or equivalent level, in the areas of research with higher education/medical education experience strongly preferred.
- Ability and experience developing a department-level strategic plan, developing a related budget and achieving results against plan objectives and budget requirements.
- Exceptional management skills with proven ability to motivate and work well with others and develop a team-focused and customer service-oriented department coupled with the ability to build strong, productive relationships at all levels of an organization and with outside organizations to achieve results.
- Strong background and/or management abilities in statistical and database research.
- Broad-based experience with organizations promoting improvements to medical and health profession education.
- Superior communication skills, both written and oral, especially the ability and experience preparing and presenting reports.
- Experience in grants management, fund-raising and financial and business relationship development and management.
AACOM is an equal opportunity employer. EOE, M/F/D/V.
Apply for Senior Vice President of Medical Education and Research
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly